Sweet Potato

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
manda

Post by manda »

Yum love em...called Kumara here ..roasted or sliced thinly and made into Kumara chips....yum!
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Effie
Legendary Laner

Post by Effie »

Didn't think they would grow here - has anyone tried? My speciality crop is weeds but I'd love tips from anyone who has grown sweet potatoes sucessfully.

Effie
" -zere isn't much to do 'ere, unless you like cooking and chickens!"
ChooksAway!
Lively Laner

Post by ChooksAway! »

Jen, with reference to the "Children" thread, you will find sweet potatoes indispensable for weaning purposes if and when the time comes! They puree up a treat.

Lovely roasted too!!

CA!
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

My sister made all her own baby food based on lots of different veg, and sweet potato as a base. Normal potato can go a bit 'gluey' if you try to blend it to a puree for a first food.
ChooksAway!
Lively Laner

Post by ChooksAway! »

In my experience, jars of baby food (particularly the more expensive organic ones) all taste like the tomato sauce that baked beans come in.

Mine all had real food (heavily based on sweet potato, banana and avocado - obviously not all at once). I was told that the big bonus of this was that they would not become fussy eaters as they got older.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha bl##dy ha!!!!

CA!
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

ChooksAway! wrote:I was told that the big bonus of this was that they would not become fussy eaters as they got older.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha bl##dy ha!!!!
CA!

My sister has 3 kiddies - Georgia is 7 and has a very healthy appetite (she is very slim), Joe is 5 and until recently would not eat any variation of potato (even chips) and only Aunt Bessie yorkshire puds not Auntie Kate's homemade ones, and was quite fussy about most stuff, he is getting much better now. The youngest, Thomas who is 2, eats ANYTHING and lots of it. They were all fed the same way as babies.

Both G and J are very into checking their 5 a day and eat lots of fruit and other healthy stuff.

Kids are all different no matter what you do with them as they grow up, my 3 (teenagers) are also very different in their eating habits and probably nowhere near as healthy as Sue's kids.
Effie
Legendary Laner

Post by Effie »

My kids didn't eat the jar stuff - they may have been put off by my expression of revulsion as I fed them - that stuff STINKS!

You're brave to have tasted it CA, I was never brave enough.

Hubby and I cooked and pureed pans of veg (and later meat and fish) once a month. We freezed different combinations in little food bags, easy to defrost, bit of variety, knew what was in it in and best of all cheap )t'

yike* WARNING - yucky topic, not for the delicate yike*

My speciality was breastmilk cheese sauce (not breastmilk cheese BTW) thickened with baby rice, served with cauliflower, carrots or fish
" -zere isn't much to do 'ere, unless you like cooking and chickens!"
essentialequine
Lively Laner

Post by essentialequine »

my daughter only got home made baby food as well, I learned the hard way not to put tatties into the blender lol, ehhh yuk gooie mess that made, and I agee much cheaper than the jars.
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

I once gave my first son a jar of lamb casserole baby food. A while later he projectile vomitted it all over the bedroom carpet - the stain NEVER came out yike* What on earth was in that????
wabbiter
Learner Laner

Post by wabbiter »

i love them baked covered in blue cheese )c+ )c+ )t'
Life is too short to travel fast and miss it
vyxxn
Lively Laner

Post by vyxxn »

I make my own sweet potatoes by brushing them with egg and rolling them in hundreds and thousands before roasting :razz:

Only joking - but we always throw a few in the roasting dish on sunday - they need to be cut much bigger than the normal spuds or they go too soft - and theyre just as good with the skin on although since starting the compost heap I'm back to peeling them - I just get the feeling the compost heap is giving me one of those looks if I keep the peel :?