Now they want to condemm baconand sausage!

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
urbanchicks
Longlasting Laner

Now they want to condemm baconand sausage!

Post by urbanchicks »

Well yet another survey on food we love!These surveys are all very well but in another few years they will say they are fine,as has happened recently with red meat and other foods.In my opinion Jobs for the boys these surveys out to scaremonger and then conclude they have made a mistake!God knows how many businesses are affected by these Quotes! I always say everything in moderation. {mr.angry}

Maggie
Maggie1

Re: Now they want to condemm baconand sausage!

Post by Maggie1 »

Quite agree. I am sick to death of these stupid surveys. Obviously nothing going on in the news today. Either that or more scaremongering especially about the horse-meat thing going on.

We had this sort of thing a few years back about red meat. Then they changed their mind and said it was good for you.

So they are basically saying all these people (ranging from 60+ that had bacon and sausage every morning for breakfast, a lot have had this since the war. They are saying will die from cancer. Load of twaddle.
rhubarb93
Legendary Laner

Post by rhubarb93 »

I think the trial has been mis-quoted. I don't think there is too much problem with English-style sausages. I think the problem is with cured meats like salami-type sausages, and pork pies and pates which are preserved with nitrites.
I never buy the latter as the nitrites make my mouth burn, and I've long considered them unhealthy.
I do eat salami and chorizo - they are so tasty - but keep them for occasional treats. Love a bacon butty, but am aware of the high salt and fat content. Just a case of being sensible.
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

I had the impression that processed meats are the problem, although the news showed ordinary sausages and bacon on a plate. Apparantly we will all live longer if we limit these foods, eat a mediteranean style diet and take more excercise. So just leaving out processed food is not what is being suggested, even though the headlines make it appear so.
We have had so many scares in the past, ie, red mead and eggs. Now we are being advised to eat eggs as it is now decided they are good for us. Personally, I eat what I want in moderation and enjoy a good variety of foods. I get so cross when I read that something is bad or we should eat more of certain things. Usually some business somewhere is making plenty of money from it all as it is often companies who finance the research.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

There are so many factors that can contribute in non-laboratory situations that I don't know how you can design a foolproof experiment, and it could just as easily be something else that meat eaters are eating or doing that is increasing their risk, i.e. correlation and no causality. The dietician that was on the news seemed to know little about food production, and kept talking about 'low quality meat' Well meat is meat, and all made of the same stuff. Offal is particularly vitamin rich, so would that be low quality? Recovered meat is just the same stuff in smaller pieces. Some bits are fattier than others - maybe that would count. So what did she actually mean?
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

albertajune wrote: . Personally, I eat what I want in moderation and enjoy a good variety of foods.

Yes!!!

I get annoyed when told we 'should all eat less of.....'. Less than how much? But I suppose they are trying to keep the message simple.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Me too and I remember all the ho-ha about the eggs!! That blooming Eggwina Currie!!

We've just thoroughly enjoyed a nice Full English Breakfast )eat( , well our version of it - three slices of bacon, poached egg, tomato and a bread roll each )eat( would have had sausages if we had any.
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

This thread has incited me to go to the freezer, ready for a bacon n egg lunch.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Mercedes
Legendary Laner

Post by Mercedes »

I hate all these food scares, you end up not knowing what you can or cannot eat :?

My mum is German and was brought up on all of those processed meats and sausages and still eats a fair amount of them, her sister is the same and as her sister still lives in Germany she probably eats even more of them than my mother. My mum will be 90 in May and her sister is 92 so a diet high in those kinds of foods hasn't done either of them any harm.
Lyn

Post by Benny&Co »

Mo wrote:This thread has incited me to go to the freezer, ready for a bacon n egg lunch.

Yay, go Mo! )t' )c(
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Mercedes wrote:I hate all these food scares, you end up not knowing what you can or cannot eat :?

My mum is German and was brought up on all of those processed meats and sausages and still eats a fair amount of them, her sister is the same and as her sister still lives in Germany she probably eats even more of them than my mother. My mum will be 90 in May and her sister is 92 so a diet high in those kinds of foods hasn't done either of them any harm.

Good on your mum and her sister Lyn )t' )c(
Bev x

Mrs B

Post by Mrs B »

There is a world of difference between a mass produced cheap sausage and a good quality butcher sausage.

Who eats sausage or bacon every single day anyway? I freely admit to eating far too much junk but even I would not have processed meat more than a couple of times a week.

I just ignore all healthy eating advice now, I don't drink much, have never smoked and get oodles of exercise (just not the gym variety)

Having worked with and for the elderly for any years I have no desire to be so old I am dependant on others for my daily needs.
Maggie1

Post by Maggie1 »

Its not just the processed meat though is it. Its the same as many years ago if you was pregnant you was urged to eat liver. Now your not allowed. Load of twaddle
Mrs B

Post by Mrs B »

I couldn't agree more Maggie.
Homemade
Legendary Laner

Post by Homemade »

Well I have to stand up for the researchers here. The way the press report it is not neccessarily what the research was saying.

Yes there are other lifestyle factors -but that was taken into acount here.

Yes advice changes but that is because the research is getting better at narrowing down the particular factors.
Eggs were advised against because they have high cholesterol content but now it is known that there are good and bad types of cholesterol and eggs are good in moderation.
Liver was advised because it has high iron content but it also contains high vitamin A in levels not considered safe for the pregnant.

I just ignore all healthy eating advice now, I don't drink much, have never smoked and get oodles of exercise (just not the gym variety)

This IS the healthy living advice -plus eat 5 fruit and veg!

The advice given is based on the likelyhood of harm it is not saying that everyone will die if they eat 1 sausage - my FiL always quoted people he knew who had always smoked and lived to 90 - it didn't stop MiL dying of cancer at 65.

Recovered meat is not just meat in smaller bits - mechanically recovered meat or "white slime" is limited by law because of its different composition (contains so much bone and other tissue that it cannot be labelled meat)
Due to FSIS regulations enacted in 2004 to protect consumers against Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy, mechanically separated beef is considered inedible and is prohibited for use as human food. It is not permitted in hot dogs or any other processed product.[6]

Sorry for the long post. These researchers are trying to help. And anyway most of you seem to have got the message - as you all say it's moderation that is key.
Quand je serai vieille je vais vivre en France
Sunny Clucker, she came, she saw, she moved on!