How long should I cook Lamb for?

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
sazchops
Legendary Laner

How long should I cook Lamb for?

Post by sazchops »

I'm sure I've cooked it before but can't remember how long.
I've got a 2.6kg Leg of Lamb, on the bone and just want to roast it, not too pink but not falling off the bone. )t'
Sarah - slave to Cats Anthony, Elsa and Pippa, Chickens, Heidi, Fleur, Gabby and Marmite, R.I.P Cadbury
rhubarb93
Legendary Laner

Re: How long should I cook Lamb for?

Post by rhubarb93 »

"20 mins a lb + 20 mins over" is what I do, on oven 6. Longer if lower temp.
And then let it rest for a good 10 mins, covered in foil.
But I do like mine pretty pink, so you may need a touch longer.
Roast Lamb - Yummy! Can I come? :-D
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

I do mine in the slow cooker, long and slow - seal it first in the pan )t' )eat(
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
chookmike
Longlasting Laner

Post by chookmike »

The 20 plus 20 rule is what we use for pink lamb too - stud it with garlic and rosemary for extra flavour and redcurrant jelly in the gravy - yum

We have a half leg of lamb today and tips on a good gravy gratefully received - mine is good but always keen to learn - I always feel that the gravy with a roast is second in importance only to the meat

Mike
Mrs B

Post by Mrs B »

I was just bout to post asking if lamb was any good in the slowki so thanks for answering that one Bev
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

No worries MrsB )t'

I forgot to say what I do yesterday.....

I usually put my slowki on high to warm up, then put in a couple of onions, a carrot, some celery if I have any in. Also some garlic and rosemary for lamb.

Then I seal the lamb in a hot pan after seasoning it with salt and pepper.

Put the lamb in the slowki and then I turn off the gas and de-glaze the pan with some red wine and slosh it in with the lamb.

Then I'll either leave the slowki on high or turn it to low depending on how quick I want it to cook.

I'll turn the slowki down to low and then off before serving to let the meat rest.

)eat(
Last edited by Benny&Co on 11 Mar 2013, 11:09, edited 1 time in total.
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

chookmike wrote:The 20 plus 20 rule is what we use for pink lamb too - stud it with garlic and rosemary for extra flavour and redcurrant jelly in the gravy - yum

We have a half leg of lamb today and tips on a good gravy gratefully received - mine is good but always keen to learn - I always feel that the gravy with a roast is second in importance only to the meat

Mike

We love our gravy here too Mike )t'

Here's what I do......

Once the meat is practically done, I drain off any juices and some remaining onion into a pan.

Add a few spoons of cornflower and mix in.

I do all our veggies in my steamer which has a little well underneath the pans to collect the veggy water, I then add that to the gravy mix.

I'll add a splash of red wine (for lamb or beef) and also a splash of soy sauce for colour. I never use stock cubes and find this works well.

Let it all boil up and thicken and that's pretty much it.

)eat(
Bev x

chookmike
Longlasting Laner

Post by chookmike »

Seems we are singing from the same hymn sheet Benny&co. I would love to use red wine but Rebecca gets a migraine as soon as you pull the cork, so we de-glaze (there's posh) the pan with white wine and then use the redcurrant jelly for a good colour and sweetness that lamb can deal with.

Our lamb is still in the fridge as a black kitten fell asleep on me yesterday afternoon and I drifted off too - missed half the rugby, all the football and only woke up after R had gone to bed....

I'll have another go at it now. Roast dinner on a Monday? Well, snowing outside and absolutely freezing so we'll manage - Just feel sorry for the hens - I wish they would get inside and snuggle up but they don't seem to care. Bumble's foot better again so fingers crossed.

Bon appetite!
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

So, as someone who has only used the slow cooker three times now...

How do you roast meat in it? Doesn't it burn on the bottom where all the heat is? Do you cover the whole lot in stock and then drain stock off at the end? >coc<

I love slow cooked lamb but thought slow cookers were just for stews/casseroles )hlp>
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
Mrs B

Post by Mrs B »

Lucy we tend to seal the meat in the griddle pan just to put a nice colour on it then throw the meat into the slowki with water and whatever seasoning we want. We don't usually add a stock cube.

Usually fill ours to about halfway with water.
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Mad Chick wrote:So, as someone who has only used the slow cooker three times now...

How do you roast meat in it? Doesn't it burn on the bottom where all the heat is? Do you cover the whole lot in stock and then drain stock off at the end? >coc<

I love slow cooked lamb but thought slow cookers were just for stews/casseroles )hlp>

Oooh Lucy, you should try doing your meat in the slowki, it's ace :-D )t'

I find that turning the meat over every hour or so prevents it from burning.

Our slowki makes a lot of condensation so I tend not to put too much water/stock/or wine in there just a little bit.

I do chicken, pork, lamb, beef everything in there - love my slowki {hug}
Bev x

Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

chookmike wrote:Seems we are singing from the same hymn sheet Benny&co. I would love to use red wine but Rebecca gets a migraine as soon as you pull the cork, so we de-glaze (there's posh) the pan with white wine and then use the redcurrant jelly for a good colour and sweetness that lamb can deal with.

Our lamb is still in the fridge as a black kitten fell asleep on me yesterday afternoon and I drifted off too - missed half the rugby, all the football and only woke up after R had gone to bed....

I'll have another go at it now. Roast dinner on a Monday? Well, snowing outside and absolutely freezing so we'll manage - Just feel sorry for the hens - I wish they would get inside and snuggle up but they don't seem to care. Bumble's foot better again so fingers crossed.

Bon appetite!

Hope you enjoyed your roast yesterday.

I find the little chookies cope much better with the colder weather, as they're very warm little creatures - like little feathery duvets and they cuddle up at night {hug}

In my experience the warm/damp/muggy temperatures seem to upset them the most.
Bev x

Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Mrs B wrote:Lucy we tend to seal the meat in the griddle pan just to put a nice colour on it then throw the meat into the slowki

)t' :-D
Bev x