cupcake frosting

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
Mrs B

cupcake frosting

Post by Mrs B »

I recently went on a cupcake decorating course )t' and the butter cream stuff was much easier to work with than standard butter cream (for piping).

The lady running the course buys it in, a very expensive way of doing it IMO yike* . Apparently it is one third vanilla frosting and two thirds vanilla filling cream.

Does anyone have a good frosting recipe they could share with me please? A vanilla recipe and a choccy recipe pretty please with pink sprinkles on +f+
LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Re: cupcake frosting

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

I'm no help really, I just use buttercream but with a bit more icing sugar than usual.
I am however HORRIFIED that you went on a cupcake decorating course and have failed to share a single photograph ... I'm telling Perchy on you!
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
Mrs B

Post by Mrs B »

LittleBrownFrog wrote:I'm no help really, I just use buttercream but with a bit more icing sugar than usual.
I am however HORRIFIED that you went on a cupcake decorating course and have failed to share a single photograph ... I'm telling Perchy on you!

Pictures are on FB, I shall see if I can share them here, I was rubbish at the modelling with sugar paste bit.
Mrs B

Post by Mrs B »

I hope that worked
Mrs B

Post by Mrs B »

The bear face is supposed to be a rabbit and the yellow thing is supposed to be an Easter chick not a road kill zombie alien canary.

Oh and a pic of a nice tidy cupboard

and the coffee cake I made for my birthday last month

LittleBrownFrog
Legendary Laner

Post by LittleBrownFrog »

The cakes are fabulous! I like the cupcakes, but the coffee cake looks delicious )eat(
"Happiness is like a butterfly; the more you chase it, the more it will elude you, but if you turn your attention to other things, it will come and sit softly on your shoulder..." Thoreau.
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

I've always had a soft spot for road kill zombie alien canaries )t'

They look fab MrsB. Izzy and I keep saying we want to do a cupcake decorating course but haven't got round to it yet.

When I make frosting I make standard buttercream icing but then add milk until I get it to the required piping consistency :-D
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
MissEllie
Legendary Laner

Post by MissEllie »

I'm another one who makes a buttercream mix. Your cakes look amazing Mrs B - especially the coffee cake, it brings back memories of a happy sunny afternoon last year {hug}
I've been to a cupcake decoration night too, I was amazed how great my cakes turned out as I'm the least artistic person in the universe.
The talent for being happy is appreciating and liking what you have, instead of what you don't have
Woody Allen
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Mad Chick wrote:
When I make frosting I make standard buttercream icing but then add milk until I get it to the required piping consistency :-D

Your cakes always look very professional Lucy!

Mrs B - your cakes are looking good! )t'
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Post by mrs boodles »

I use buttercream as well but don`t find it goes very far on cupcakes. Also never know how far to fill up cupcases.

decorations.Your cakes are brill Mrs. B. love the
davina112
Legendary Laner

Post by davina112 »

Mrs B, your cup cakes look great, I thought the yellow guy was chicken little, he is fab )t'
Bye the way, very tidy cupboard, I won't be posting any pics of my cupboards :oops:
[center][/center]Davina
aishakali
Legendary Laner

Post by aishakali »

Love the boss eyed chick cup cake {rofwl}
LYN
Annie
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Annie »

Cup cakes are so pretty and pleasing on the eye but am I really the only person that thinks they are )loo( just far too sickly sweet.
I can see easter cup cakes on sale round here , with chicks/bunnies on and they are selling for £1.50 per individual cake - robbery !

Mrs B yours do -( or should I say did becuase I bet Beerless has scoffed them by now) look very pretty with the pastel shades and flutterbyes x
It will be alright in the end , if its not alright, it isn't the end .
Quote from the proprietor of the The best exotic Marigold Hotel for the elderly and beautiful
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

Mrs B, you always give the jokey impression that you can't do anything artistic, but those cupcakes are fab. Well done you for going to the class and making such proffesional looking cakes. I bet they tasted as good as they looked. Note I say looked, as I don't expect they lasted very long. )c+
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
Mrs B

Post by Mrs B »

Annie I too normally find cupcakes sickly but this frosting was lovely and light.

June thanks for your kind words but I really am not arty or crafty, the piping and little flower things I found easy but the sugar paste modelling was just too faffy for me.

Some of the women on the course (on the quiet table) made perfect cakes but barely spoke to each other, I was on the noisy table )t'