What to do with tough runner beans

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

What to do with tough runner beans

Post by Meanqueen »

I hate it when you are chewing runner beans and they have tough skins because they have been on the plant too long. You have to spit the skins out, ugghhh, horrible. I also hate throwing food away. So I thought it was worth trying this.

Cut them up and put them in a pan, I also had some of those dried peas that you soak for 12 hours, so I put these in as well. Cover with water, add a veggie oxo cube, some black pepper, and a spoon of grainy mustard, and a squirt of tomato puree. Cook for half an hour. Let it cool, then put it in a blender. Result, delicious soup. You could add anything to the beans, or use just beans on their own. I am going to make some more and freeze it.

Ilona
)c+
sharon the chauffeur
Longlasting Laner

Post by sharon the chauffeur »

Ilona i dont have that problem often but i find adding 1 t spoon of sugar softens them whilst cooking
Mrs Fuzzywig
Longlasting Laner

Post by Mrs Fuzzywig »

I just string, cut and freeze the beans, once defrosted and cooked, they are really tender and still fresh, no need to blanch them either.
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

If they are full of toenails they go on the compost heap. (Maybe I pod them and eat the beans)

I go to dance clubs twice a week so I strip the row and take the beans along. It keeps them tender and there's still enough for us in between. People say 'why do you plant so many?' but it's only a 6' row, and I can fill a washing-up bowl to give away easily. No point putting more than we will eat in the freezer. They seem to be tailing off now.
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I like that, Mo, toenails, ha ha, coming to towards the end of them now but I'm finding some that are 2 feet long, previously hidden. I already have loads in my freezer, never thought of putting sugar in them. I am not a great soup lover, but if it helps it go down the hatch, mashing them up seems a good way of doing it. I have just microwaved a bowl of it for lunch, with a couple of bread roll, cheap lunch.

Ilona