Fair trade limes

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
saint-spoon

Fair trade limes

Post by saint-spoon »

I needed some lime to make guacamole for last nights tea. 11p each for the loose ones but £1-49 for 4 fair trade which is three times the price (ish). Anyway the fair trade fruits by my reckoning had travelled half as far as the loose ones; Egypt instead of Brazil.
Taking into account their fair trade status and reduced food miles I was still unsure because they came pre-packaged which I really do not like. Anyway the likelihood that no Egyptian rain forest was likely to have been slashed in order to produce the fair trade ones won the day. What w palaver just for some guacamole (which obviously contains avocado from a squillion miles away anyway).
)ot:

After watching Bruce Parry’s journey through the upper reaches of the river Amazon I wonder if any celebrities ever give the same ethical concern to the procurement of their recreational nasal powders; I doubt that any of that is fair trade. Sorry for that last bit, random mumblings of a bored person.
Bah Humbug
seahorse
Legendary Laner

Post by seahorse »

I'm just watching Bruce Parry right now (recorded) Sooo interesting, loved the Alpacas!! My shopping takes longer than it really should as I check food origins, miles etc. Why do the reduced ready meals with chicken (always picked up by mr seahorse) contain chicken from Thailand?? I always put them back.
BTW I wouldnt want cocaine, seeing as how they make it, chew it and spit it back into the vat!! not that I would take dr-ugs of course :shock:
Looove chucks!
misty
Legendary Laner

Post by misty »

Same here Seahorse. walking round sainsbugs thinking "I'll get a nice Indian for a treat" but the chicken is from Thailand and goodness knows where the rest if from.
Mu daughter used to work for a wholesale frozen food company and the tales she told us.
seahorse
Legendary Laner

Post by seahorse »

Hi misty
We can all shop ethically if we have the time to read packaging. Then again, we are relying on the honesty of the companies to say where stuff comes from. We take a lot of info on trust. I tend to voice my opinions when mr seahorse wants something which I know has come too many miles or not been treated kindly. Our mushrooms come either from Eire or Poland!We also see Polish blueberries! There are just some things we should not buy , especially when they can be locally sourced.
Looove chucks!
RoomandKitchen
Lively Laner

Re: Fair trade limes

Post by RoomandKitchen »

saint-spoon wrote:
After watching Bruce Parry’s journey through the upper reaches of the river Amazon I wonder if any celebrities ever give the same ethical concern to the procurement of their recreational nasal powders; I doubt that any of that is fair trade. Sorry for that last bit, random mumblings of a bored person.

LOL I used to work for an envioronmental organisation and they used to sit and discuss the unethical unorganic stance of such organisations such as MacDondlds, Urger Gink, Nes caffe etc.. and how everyone really should boycott them. I always wanted to ask them if their tobaco and alcohol was fair trade and organic !

I guess we have to make the best choices we can with what is available to us where we live .. its a difficult one though sometimes the shopping can take so long