Mashed Potatoes

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
saint-spoon

Mashed Potatoes

Post by saint-spoon »

what is your best recipe for this most comforting accompaniment? I usually use maris piper or wijla spuds, peel and boil (obviously) and them mash with a masher. I then add butter, English mustard, and grated cheddar cheese.
Bah Humbug
p.penn

Re: Mashed Potaotes

Post by p.penn »

I like King Edwards - again mashed with a masher, lots of butter al teeny bit of milk and lots of freshly ground black pepper.
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Re: Mashed Potatoes

Post by mrs boodles »

I like mashed potato with a bit of butter and milk and lots of pepper mixed in. Hubby is`nt a great potato eater but likes his mashed potato with a little grated nutmeg in it.
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

It depends what we're having them to accompany...

Always lots of butter, a dash of milk and salt & pepper but will add mustard if going with sausages, horseradish if going with a beefy dish, sometimes cheese...

Mmmmmm, LOVE mashed potatoes {hug}
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
rhubarb93
Legendary Laner

Post by rhubarb93 »

I like mash with another veg in it - celeriac is a favourite, or sometimes sweed.
Always plus butter, milk, salt and pepper. Only occasionally mustard or horseradish as I think they can overpower what they are accompanying.
But we are having mustard mash with our sausies tonight.
manda

Post by manda »

mmm good question...depends if we're having them creamy or smashed.

Waxy potaotes for creamy mash and then I put them through the ricer....butter, S&P and a bit of milk...

Sometimes add a bit of Kumara in them. Kumara mash is lovely on it's own but a lot sweeter so I like the mix.

Smashed I like to keep the skins on

Colcannon with sausages and onion gravy ...Yum

Garlic in while the potatoes are cooking......

All sorts of other things added depending on what's for the meal.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

What's kumara Manda?
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

Mad Chick wrote:What's kumara Manda?

Oh don't you know anything Lucy?

so glad it was you who asked
Bah Humbug
manda

Post by manda »

Sweet potato...they come as red or gold..the reds have white flesh and red skin and the golds have goldy/red skin and orange flesh...and they are lush!
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
chookmike
Longlasting Laner

Post by chookmike »

Not quite the same as the usual sweet potato from the West Indies though. If your Morrysuns has had a trendy makeover you'll find them in there.

They used to chip and deep fry them where I was - absolutely disgusting! R bakes them - one for her and a King Edward or Rooster for me - not my favourite as too sweet but might try Manda's mixed mash.

Have you tried putting marmalade in Saint Spoon?

Mike
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

onion marmalade might work. I was just thinking about an experiment I did years ago (actually it was Lucy's horseradish mash) I did horseradish and smoked salmon mash for my tea.
Bah Humbug
Homemade
Legendary Laner

Post by Homemade »

My favourite has to be with parsnips, black pepper and crem fraiche.
Quand je serai vieille je vais vivre en France
Sunny Clucker, she came, she saw, she moved on!
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

saint-spoon wrote:
Mad Chick wrote:What's kumara Manda?

Oh don't you know anything Lucy?

so glad it was you who asked

{rofwl}

Kumara is ace, I think it's less sweet than our sweet potato )eat( wish we could get it over here.
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Ooooh I'm craving mashed tatties now, some lovely sounding very yummy ideas here )eat(

I don't have a favourite potato for mashed spuds, but have a sack of Desiree ones at the moment which work well for everything.

I peel and cut into chunks, then steam till soft.

Depending on what I have in I'll put all sorts in, big chunk of butter first then.... grated cheese and soft cheese, maybe spring onions or steamed cabbage too.

Also love garlic mash - whilst the spuds are steaming I put a blob of butter and a squashed garlic clove to melt, then add to the mashed up spuds )eat(

If I make a large batch I freeze what's left - seems to work well :-D
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Post by jemberelli »

Someone once served me mash that had mayo mixed in it instead of butter & milk. Sounds bizarre, tasted lovely & creamy.
No girls at the moment but look forward to getting more in the future. Proud mummy to Hector, a Bedlington Terrier x Jack Russell