Beer can chicken.....

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
AL37
Admin Moderator

Beer can chicken.....

Post by AL37 »

Anyone ever tried it?

The weather is supposed to be good tomorrow so I am going to get the pizza oven fired up and have a go.
I have had a look at a few recipes but it basicaly a case of putting various herbs etc into half a can of beer/lager/cider (not decided which one yet) and sliding the chicken over the top of the upright can then roasting it. I intend to make a zesty rub for the outside so with a bit of luck we should end up with some realy tastey chicken.
If you've done it and have any tips I am all ears. :-D
Al. )t'
[center]Relax, I could have been a twin.[/center]
tamk23
Legendary Laner

Re: Beer can chicken.....

Post by tamk23 »

I've never heard of this before. Am I right in thinking when you say slide the chicken over the top you mean the can goes up the chicken's bum? :?
Tammy xxx

Mum to two girls Violet and Iris and Hubby! 7 chickens, Easter, Bunny, Daisy, Tulip, Primrose, Buttercup, Snowdrop, 2 silkie chicks Teddy & Rainbow. 1 cat, Gromit. 2 gerbils cheese and onion, 2 guinea pigs Bangers & Mash and my Min Pin puppy Betty. RIP my little Casserole, Hotpot & Stew x Goodnight to my wonderful cat Chance and my wonderful dog Hamish xx
manda

Post by manda »

Yes ...keeps the chicken really moist...have also done it with white wine and stick herby butter under the skin which is nice as well . Stood the whole thing in an old cake tin to catch the juices so I could do a gravy as well :-D )t'
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
AL37
Admin Moderator

Post by AL37 »

Thanks Manda, did you use one of those stands you can get for the can or just stand the can and chicken up in the tin?
I think because of the shape of my pizza oven a stand may be the best way to go which means I get to play with the welder today too. )grin2(
AL37
Admin Moderator

Post by AL37 »

tamk23 wrote:I've never heard of this before. Am I right in thinking when you say slide the chicken over the top you mean the can goes up the chicken's bum? :?

Yes Tam, like this. )t'

http://www.tasteofbbq.com/images/beer_can_chicken1.jpg
tamk23
Legendary Laner

Post by tamk23 »

Wow I might have to try that x
Tammy xxx

Mum to two girls Violet and Iris and Hubby! 7 chickens, Easter, Bunny, Daisy, Tulip, Primrose, Buttercup, Snowdrop, 2 silkie chicks Teddy & Rainbow. 1 cat, Gromit. 2 gerbils cheese and onion, 2 guinea pigs Bangers & Mash and my Min Pin puppy Betty. RIP my little Casserole, Hotpot & Stew x Goodnight to my wonderful cat Chance and my wonderful dog Hamish xx
Benny&Co
Project Hedgehog Leader

Post by Benny&Co »

Wow, I've never heard of that before Al. Looks scrummy )eat(

Does the beer/etc vapourise or something?
Bev x
Our family: my-Lovely-Hubbly and I, Benny and our two little Ladies - Betty and Gloria.

RIP dear little Ladies - Lottie, Cottie, Elsie, Dottie, Hilda and Margie. You may have gone, but are never ever forgotten.
chookmike
Longlasting Laner

Post by chookmike »

I thought the printing on cans was a plastic film which would melt, but it looks ok in the photo Al. Still not sure about this one though..

Mike
chookmike
Longlasting Laner

Post by chookmike »

I meant to add that if you see product from Australia called 'Classic Chicken Salt' made by Mitani it's well worth the pound. Comes in a little drum about 3 inches high. I think you are supposed to sprinkle it on cooked food, but I sprinkle it on before cooking like the rub BigAl is planning. Adds good flavour in my view as even FR chicken seems tasteless nowadays.

Might be near the Oxo cubes in the supermarket. There's another one by Dunn's River but I haven't tried that.

Cheers

Mike
AL37
Admin Moderator

Post by AL37 »

I will look out for that Mike. )t'
Well its in, and I decided to go with a can of pear cider with bay leaves, thyme, parsley and a little sage added.
I have given the skin a good rub with olive oil lemon jest and a load of black pepper, the smell from the pizza oven is amazing.

Yes Benny the cider in the can evaporates with the heat taking the flavour of the herbs with it into the chicken.

I will post some pics this evening. :-D )eat(
AL37
Admin Moderator

Post by AL37 »

WOW, thats some of the best chicken I have ever had. )eat(

Getting the fire started

I decided to prop up the chicken against the sides of the roasting pan with skewers.

I have to say it was so moist and tender it actualy fell apart as I tried to lift it out of the tin. I will deffinately be doing it again. )t'
Mad Chick

Post by Mad Chick »

Can you pop down and build me a pizza oven Al so I can have a go too? +f+ +f+ +f+
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
tamk23
Legendary Laner

Post by tamk23 »

Pear cider )t' good choice

That looks rather yummy
Tammy xxx

davina112
Legendary Laner

Post by davina112 »

Al can I have a pizza oven too please +f+ +f+
If everyone that would like one puts there name on a list we could work out the route Al would need to take, I wouldn't want him going back and forth around the country
I'm off now !!!!
[center][/center]Davina
manda

Post by manda »

AL37 wrote:Thanks Manda, did you use one of those stands you can get for the can or just stand the can and chicken up in the tin?
I think because of the shape of my pizza oven a stand may be the best way to go which means I get to play with the welder today too. )grin2(

We've done both...I didn't weld one though I bought it )grin2( ....but I would say that making something would make it more stable because in truth the stand isn't all that.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny