Pease pudding recipe please

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Pease pudding recipe please

Post by Linda S »

Years ago my Nan made pease pudiing and i loved it, she always boiled a ham hock and cooked the split peas in the liquid.
I have seen recipes which seem to have all sorts added, i might be mistaken but i think my Nans was a simple recipe not with loads of herbs or spices.
Iwould love to be able to have a go and would wellcome any recipes you have for me to attempt :-D Lindaxx
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
manda

Re: Pease pudding recipe please

Post by manda »

This is the one I have Linda

Ingredients:
1 lb (450 g) dried peas
1 medium sized onion
2 teaspoons salt
1 oz (28 g) butter
1 egg (beaten) - up to you if you add this
Pepper

Method:
Soak the peas overnight in cold water and then drain.
Peel and chop the onion quite finely and put in a saucepan with the peas and salt. Cover with cold water.
Bring the pan to the boil and then reduce the heat and simmer for 2-3 hours until the peas are soft.
Drain the peas and onion and either push them through a sieve or puree them in an electric blender.
Return the puree to a clean saucepan and place over a very low heat.
Add the butter, beaten egg, and pepper to taste and stir all the time until the mixture is hot.

If you have some ham stock you can use that (replace some of the water with it) when you're cooking the peas rather than using salt as this has the saltiness.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

Thanks Manda this sounds more like it :-D
My Nan also used to turn it into pudding dish to go cold and set, she also did gorgeous steak and kidney puds in that dish it was used daily for tasty teas
Ah the memories I swear I can taste it now slices of ham and pease pudding it dosnt get much better {hug} Lindaxx
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
manda

Post by manda »

My Grandma used to make Pease pudding....I loved Ham and Pease Pudding sandwiches...both hot in lovely home baked bread YUM!!

The other thing we used to have was just stotty cake and dunk it in pease pudding ...lots of butter on the stotty.....isn't it great how food can bring back good memories (maybe why I like it so much )sh )
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

Ooh Manda my chops are watering just thiinking of those sarnis i dont suppose mine will be anywhere near as good as both our Grandmas but i will have a good go :-D
What is a stottie is it a breadcake/roll or a loaf iv heard the word but im a bit >dum< Lindaxx
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
manda

Post by manda »

Bread - a flat bread...yummy )grin2(
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

aceface
Legendary Laner

Post by aceface »

I haven't eaten yet had impromptu visitors }hairout{ I am going to have some bread and dripping mmmmmmmmmmmm yummy but I will be up all night drinking from the saltiness {rofwl} {rofwl} I had no idea it was so late {rofwl} i wanted to talk to my friend and ive missed out on that too {cry}
[center]HELPING THE LITTLE BROWN GIRLS OF THIS WORLD FIND FOREVER HOMES
Humble chicken maid to a happy little flock
Frankii Whippers leading the way with Dorey,Prila(aka Mrs Brown),Ann-a-Lou Greta, Delphine my adorable silkie,my twin girls Lana and Boudica (aka The Jedward Twins ) ,Augustine Eizabeth(aka Pippy), Rheima, Marnie and Fleur aka little miss chatterbox[/center]

Still loving and missing Skinnie Minnie and Queenie xx

Marlene you taught me how to live and laugh again xx

Isabella my darling top hen ,you stole my heart xx

Porscha my sweet little girl ,you left so suddenly xx
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Bread and Dripping aceface yike*

I wouldn't touch it, a good fry up in heavy lard with white toast swamped in Butter and sweet Marmalade will do me.

Richard :-D :-D
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
bluebell
Legendary Laner

Post by bluebell »

My mum used to make lovely pease pudding. Yum Yum!!!!

I used to love bread and dripping. Crikey, thinking about it, my mum used to give me bread and condensed milk when I was a little tiny kid - amazing I've got a good set of teeth still. Also used to love a slice of toast with thick layer of home made jam on it.

I'm at work - I'm hungry now! :?
http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Helping to give ex-battery hens a fresh start!

http://thevintagebelles.blogspot.co.uk/
manda

Post by manda »

I love condensed milk sandwiches Bluebell!! (I may have eaten one recently )sh )
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda