Wine re-activating

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Wine re-activating

Post by albertajune »

As used to happen, when I made fruit wines some years ago, my grape wine has become lively.
It is crystal clear and in fact a beautiful flavour wine. We have drunk some before and it was as flat as a pancake. It seems to happen when the flower comes onto the vine. I've had to slightly loosen the bottle caps and hope it doesn't take off.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
p.penn

Re: Wine re-activating

Post by p.penn »

Some wines produce what is called a malolactic fermentation - you know when you buy a bottle and it has like a little tingle to it?

However, if they haven't fermented out fully for some reason (temperature or too much sugar are the usual culprits) some do start to referment! yike*

Right. The best solution for this is to drink it all quickly {rofwl}
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Re: Wine re-activating

Post by albertajune »

p.penn wrote:Some wines produce what is called a malolactic fermentation - you know when you buy a bottle and it has like a little tingle to it?

However, if they haven't fermented out fully for some reason (temperature or too much sugar are the usual culprits) some do start to referment! yike*

Right. The best solution for this is to drink it all quickly {rofwl}

Yes Helen the best idea. I think it had fully fermented and actually had to be sweetened. Last years grapes were not as sweet as usual. We have already drunk some of it and it was perfect. It is so clear and just lovely but has gone lively and I have had this happen with grape wine before. We didn't leave the lot before long enough to know if it would react this way. )hic(
I am now a widow and live with my memories.