What are your favourite egg recipes?

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
redd_angel55
Legendary Laner

What are your favourite egg recipes?

Post by redd_angel55 »

I came across this recipe quite a while ago and was very tempted to try it, but forgot all about it till a couple of months ago. I am glad I made it, it's a strange combination, but it's sooo nice, quick to make and VERY cheap!

Roast tomato, Spaghetti and poached eggs
You'll need for 4:
500g Spaghetti
250g Cherry Tomatoes, quartered
Fresh Thyme, chopped
4-5 garlic cloves, chopped
Olive Oil
Pepper and Salt
4 eggs

Boil pasta according to packet instructions. Place Tomatoes, Thyme, Garlic in an oven prove dish, add Olive Oil (enough oil to coat the pasta too) and season with pepper and salt. Place in a hot oven at 220C for 10mins.
In the meantime, poach the eggs (5mins for soft yolk).
Combine the boiled pasta with the tomatoes and mix well. Serve with a poached egg on top.
Season again with freshly milled pepper. I sometimes add torn basil leaves when I mix the pasta and tomatoes. )eat(
Slave to 3 children, 1 Greyhound, 1 Cat, 4 rescued hens and a very patient hubby x
R.I.P: Ellie, Phoebe, Tikka

Freshstart for hens collection point Aylesbury, Bucks
julie62
Legendary Laner

Re: What are your favourite egg recipes?

Post by julie62 »

Sounds very nice - I must admit I dont think you can beat a freshly laid poached egg - it's just the nicest thing in the world.
Julie

“cockerels may crow but it's the hen that lays the egg."
GailC
Lively Laner

Post by GailC »

If you arefeeling adventurous and fancy trying Portuguese cuisine, try this;

Ervilhas com ovos escalfados
Peas with eggs and sausage

1 kg bag of frozen peas
1 onion, peeled and chopped finely
2 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
1 smoked Portuguese sausage (chouriço) sliced, or Spanish chorizo if you can’t find chouriço
2 tblsp olive oil
4 eggs
500ml boiling water
Bunch fresh chopped coriander
Salt and pepper

Put onion, garlic and sausage in a large saucepan and fry gently in olive oil

Add the frozen peas and 500 ml hot water and bring to the boil. Season with salt and pepper to your taste

Cover the pan with a lid and simmer until the peas are almost cooked, approx 15 mins

Crack open each egg one by one into a cup and then pour each egg into the peas mixture. Allow the eggs to poach until cooked.

Serve sprinkled with chopped coriander.
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

I love them freshly laid and poached. Sitting on home made bread, lightly toasted, is for me, perfect.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
rhubarb93
Legendary Laner

Post by rhubarb93 »

I like poached egg on spinach on toast - I think it is called egg florentine? The yolk is delicious with the spinach.

I also had made for me many years ago a sort of fish bake with smoked haddock in cheesy sauce, with eggs dropped in to poach towards the end of cooking. Lovely! But I haven't dared try it myself - the timing must be a bit critical.
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

Don't know if you saw it but a few months ago I ran a thread on another bit of the site and got some yummy ideas like egg fried rice and lots of mediterranean baked egg recipes and omlette/tortilla type things. Some strange but yummy student specials too! Worth having a look. Our favourite one was left-over mash with bitsa veg in, shaped into a nest with an egg cracked in and cheese grated on top, baked in the oven. A bit more and it makes a full dinner, and it's really nice with a salad.
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

I have a few. How about India scrabbled eggs? Fry a small red onion in a little oil, add turmeric, coriander and a touch of chillie powder (to taste) and a few curry leaves. Then add a chopped tomato and cook until tender. Then and a few whisked eggs and scrabble as you would with normal scrambled eggs. Serve on toast or fresh home baked bread.

Or ... India garlic mushrooms with fried egg. Gently fry a few mushrooms and while they are frying, very finely chop a garlic clove or two and add to the frying mushrooms. As the mushrooms and garlic are nearly finished cooking, again, add turmeric, coriander and chillie powder (I add 1/2, 1/2, 1/4 of a teaspoon). Mix the spices in allowing to cook in the oil. Transfer the mushrooms and garlic to a warm plate. Now soak a piece of kitchen roll in a little water and add to the frying pan. Crack in you eggs and cover the pan with a glass lid. This has the effect of both frying and poaching the egg (in the steam from the soaked tissue) at the same time. Serve with fresh sourdough bread.

I feel hungry now :-D
Michael