processed food and obeisity

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
wendy

Post by wendy »

Just caught up with this one. I cook as much of our food as possible.
The only things I buy that are 'processed' is cereal. yogurts and pasta.
Other than that I cook what we need, also the animals aren't fed processed either. Therefore they don't get 'treats' as such. I make titbits for training the dogs.
I have never had a fat dog, they eat meat and veggies. We are mainly vegetarian.
Wendy
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
stace
Legendary Laner

Post by stace »

Its all down to Health and Safety now jo!

Nothing will ever be like it was when we were at school!

My grandson 12 has just started doing cooking at school!

They introduced it again this year fist in a long time!

They have just come to understand that the youngsters from the last 5 years didnt even know how to boil an egg!And why because they stopped the cooking lessons, and there is far to much C..p being sold today!
I have worked all my life, even when the children were young i made the time to cook dinners, things have gotten far to easy for people now!Ready made meals are fine when your in a hurry!..But what if your in a hurry everyday?

stace (f+
Bev xx

http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
jo68
Legendary Laner

Post by jo68 »

hi stace (f+ (f+ (f+

i know even when i have organised healthy cooking lessons for parents where i work there are lots of health and safety rules to follow put the tutor i use is very good and just gives them a little demo and they get on with it their own way and if they struggle she will lend a hand )t' )t'

jo x
mum of 5,nanny to 2,2 cats,1 jack russell,6 chickens and a hubby.
bookbinder
Lively Laner

Post by bookbinder »

Having lived in Rotherham for 8 years (we moved 10 miles away last year) it was interesting to see the Jamie Oliver programme...the thing that really makes me cross is when the mums are upset saying that they cannot afford fresh healthy food....NONSENSE..... ok meat is expensive and so is some fish, but it is far cheaper to cook meals from scratch with pasta, potatoes, veg, pilses, eggs etc than take away food every night.

The problem is the lack of knowledge, not the lack of money.....and for that I do feel sorry for these parents.....
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

bookbinder wrote:the thing that really makes me cross is when the mums are upset saying that they cannot afford fresh healthy food....NONSENSE..... ok meat is expensive and so is some fish, but it is far cheaper to cook meals from scratch with pasta, potatoes, veg, pilses, eggs etc than take away food every night.

The problem is the lack of knowledge, not the lack of money.....and for that I do feel sorry for these parents.....

It is always cheaper to prepare your own stuff, and definitely better - I noticed in the paper yesterday that one of the supermarkets had reduced Aunt Bess ready made yorkshire puds to just under a pound for 12. Let's see - one egg 20p (or free) 1/2 pint milk 20p ish, 4oz flour 12p that's maybe 52p and they are sooo much nicer (my lads won't eat the ready made variety anyway). This is just one example. You can make a jolly good roast dinner with a cheaper cut of meat that you maybe need to cook longer, fresh veg, spuds, yorkies to feed 4 people for around £5 or £6. They'll all feel satisfied, no nasty plastic containers to throw away and lots of peelings for the chooks or the compost heap and anything left over appreciated by the dog :-D
lou
Legendary Laner

Post by lou »

Don't get me started on those mums in that Jamie programme, my god 1 mum spent £70 a week on take aways - a take away every night!!! )de: the daughters teeth had gone rotton and she was big for her age.
I could spend £70 a week on food/house hold products and thats including all the animals, and there is 5 of us to feed at home.
Maybe once a month we will treat ourselfs to a take away. Every saturday night my 8yr old has popcorn (that we pop ourselves!)
As her treat and will play the wii etc.
I wish some people would relise its cheaper to cook it yourself than to buy ready made also its better for you too. And that cooking isnt to bad, its trial and error, practise makes perfect!
"Happiness is making the most of what you have."
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

lou wrote:I wish some people would relise its cheaper to cook it yourself than to buy ready made also its better for you too. And that cooking isnt to bad, its trial and error, practise makes perfect!

And its rewarding when you are told - that was really yummy )c+
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

I think, without predujice, it's down to simply eating too much.

Looking around, it's not so much overweight but how you look with it.

A sign of eating the wrong things at the wrong places is usually in the complexion of someones facial skin as in spotty and pasty perhaps.

Would you agree ?
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

I think that's true, and also people who smoke - their skin certainly shows it.

I am about 2 stone overweight but I walk the dog twice a day and cannot remember the last time I went to McD's or anything, well we had a chinese takeaway on Friday evening (naughty but nice) but that is quite a rare event. I just eat too much, I know I do, but not junk. I also had one of those treadmill tests recently and I was fine and my heart rate returned to normal really quickly. I think if I didn't have 3 chaps to cook for each night who always want a pud and are all very slim :? then I could possibly lose a bit. Oh and I have got very clear skin too. Does that sound like a load of excuses for being fat????? well, cuddly :-D
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I agree Richard, whatever you put in your mouth, including cigarettes, show up on your body at some point, spots, lines, wrinkles, dry skin, greasy dull hair, broken nails, dark circles under eyes, sallow complexion. You are what you eat. Right now I am a yellow tomato :-D

Ilona