easy elderflower wine recipes.

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
chrisandbrian
Learner Laner

easy elderflower wine recipes.

Post by chrisandbrian »

Am am a complete novice when it comes to wine making so has any one got an easy recipe which doesn't involve lots of processes? I won't let another year go by without using the flowers from the lane near my house.
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Re: easy elderflower wine recipes.

Post by mrs boodles »

We went and collected a load of elderflowers this afternoon so we can make some cordial. We have done elderflower and elderberry wine in the past but blowed if can remember recipe.
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I use C.J.J. Berry's recipe - I will try and post it when I get a moment.
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Sorry to have taken so long to reply :oops: Found the book yesterday and sat down to post the recipe and realised I had moved on from that one to a simpler one!

So, elderflower wine (tried and tested recipe)

For 1 gallon of a dry table wine.

1 pint elderflowers (see details below)
3 large lemons
2½ lbs white sugar
2 campden tablets
1 gallon boiling water
Wine yeast
Yeast nutrient
Tannin 1 tsp (or half teacup strong cold black tea)

Firstly, choose bushes that don't smell of cat's wee as some do! Gather heads when in full bloom on a dry day. either snip off flowers or rub heads together to dislodge them and discard stalks. Fill 1 pint jug, lightly pressed down.

Put florets in sterilised bowl, bucket or bin, add grated rinds of the lemons. Pour over boiling water and stir. When cool, add campden tablet, stir, cover and leave for 2 or 3 days, stirring daily.

Strain through mesh bag into another clean lidded bucket. Add juice of the lemons and sugar, making sure it is all dissolved. Then add yeast, nutrient and tannin. Cover securely and leave for 4-5 days.

Strain through mesh again into a sterilised demi john. Fit fermentation lock with sterilising solution in it and leave to ferment out in a warm place.

When bubbles stop going through air lock, rack into another DJ, add campden tab. After a few weeks, when clear rack again. Then after a couple of week,s if all clear, bottle.
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com