Meat free diet

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
wendy

Re: Meat free diet

Post by wendy »

saint-spoon wrote:I am with A-June on this one, if you don’t want to eat meat then don’t eat pseudo-meat as a substitute, I have tried qworn stuff but found it very much wanting… it is after all made out of a fungus soup (not sure if there is some GM going on there). If I do a veggie meal then I prefer it to be veggie,

Me too SS. We don't eat a lot of meat at all. Simply because I feel the Western World eat too much, thus causing many of the health problems we have.
http://www.busheyk9.co.uk

If you can't be a good example........
you will just have to be a horrible warning
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

wendy wrote:We don't eat a lot of meat at al Simply because I feel the Western World eat too much, thus causing many of the health problems we have.

Totally agree )t'
Michael
boosmummy
Longlasting Laner

Post by boosmummy »

Thanks everyone for your replies, im just catching up with them. Im still off the meat and to be honest im not actually missing it, now ive got my head around not eating it. Ill be honest i do eat the veggie sausages etc.. even just for the moment, but i do see what your all saying and hadnt even thought about that xx
photos of allotment & other nice things: http://pinterest.com/girlontheplot/

Follow my blog:
http://girlontheplot.blogspot.co.uk/

Just make sure my think works are wound extra tight, and I will formulate a plan!
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

OH used to be veggie, and we had a very varied diet. Quorn mince is OK but the texture's weird, and a lot of veggie sausages - including Linda McCartney ones - are very fatty for our taste. We found quorn sausages and burgers very good, and some of the fake bacon (facon) works well.

Favourite easy recipes - steamed veg but with a cheese sauce over, stir fries with or without fish (you can add bits of meat, and that keeps all sides happy as well as cutting down quantity & price), ditto chinese-style noodle dishes, veggie lasagne works nicely with roast veg in particular. Mediterranean things too - roast veg and fish. We have a recipe just known as 'pile of fish' but slice pepper, tomato, onion over a portion of fish on a dish, cover with clingfilm and steam in the microwave then serve with veg. Gosh, on a roll now.....fish stew is cheap and nourishing. Use eggs as the protein if you keep chookies. Pasta sauces are easy easy - the classic is tomato & basil, with salad and garlic bread. There are a million sauce possibilities and again you can add meat scraps. A good variation is tuna pasta bake, we add chopped veg, tin of tuna into the tom sauce then grate cheese over. Ratatouille & rice. Courgette & tomato pie - make a standard tomato sauce, slice in courgette and perhaps a tin of chickpeas, put in a dish with mashed potato over and bake. Suggest you try to get hold of any book by Gail Duff - vegetarian cookery I think is the satndard from the 80s or a Cranks recipe book. They're a bit lentils & sandals, but the food is cheap, nourishing & tasty, and both but particularly the Cranks one understand the dietary needs for B12 etc.