Microwaved beetroot

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
p.penn

Microwaved beetroot

Post by p.penn »

As I don't have a hob of any kind while my rayburn is out for the summer, I was thinking that I may cook my considerable amount of home grown beetroot in the microwave. :?

I have looked on google and there are various things on there, but would like to know if anyone here has personal experience of doing it? Any hints or tips would be much appreciated. :-D
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
manda

Re: Microwaved beetroot

Post by manda »

I've boiled it in the microwave before...bit of boiling water and covered then cooked (depending on the size you have) until a knife goes through without resistance....I've done it this way before and then roasted it with other veg as it takes less time too. )t'
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

I always use the microwave for beetroot too ..so much quicker. )t'
rhubarb93
Legendary Laner

Post by rhubarb93 »

How about beetroot crisps? Better than paying extortionate price for veg crisps in the shops.
Thin slices, sling in plastic bag with a little oil, shake around, lay out in single layer on plate and microwave til crisp. Yummy!
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

rhubarb93 wrote:How about beetroot crisps? Better than paying extortionate price for veg crisps in the shops.
Thin slices, sling in plastic bag with a little oil, shake around, lay out in single layer on plate and microwave til crisp. Yummy!

Sound good. Can this method be used for other root veg?
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

I have cooked beetroots in the microwave before and they have been alright. I put them in water with a little salt and cook until tender. I use a basin which I cover, as the steaming helps to cook them. I have no idea how long they take as I just try them now and again. Do make sure that you move them about or they don't always cook evenly.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
rhubarb93
Legendary Laner

Post by rhubarb93 »

albertajune wrote:
rhubarb93 wrote:How about beetroot crisps? Better than paying extortionate price for veg crisps in the shops.

Sound good. Can this method be used for other root veg?

Yes, I've done it with Jerusalem Artichokes, which are gorgeous like this, and am sure it would work with parsnips etc too.