Goosegogs

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
p.penn

Goosegogs

Post by p.penn »

I was given a whole load of gooseberries this week, and have started to use them by making jam (in my jam maker)

Although it took me 3 hours all in all yike* (mainly prep) it has been quite theraputic as I haven't made jam for ages. Hope it sets :-D

My only problem is that I still have 6 lbs in the fridge that need topping and tailing for wine. I really want to put them into the freezer to soften them for mashing, but there is no room so will need to spend hours at it again tomorrow. }hairout{

Still, so lovely to be using fresh seasonal fruit - it will be a lovely memory of hot summer days during the colder months. :-D
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
perchy

Re: Goosegogs

Post by perchy »

That is alot of goosegogs, I love them but never had gooseberry jam :?
davina112
Legendary Laner

Post by davina112 »

I have never had goosegog jam either. But I have red goosegogs so I may give it a go.
Helen ave you made goosegog jam before, is it nice
[center][/center]Davina
Homemade
Legendary Laner

Post by Homemade »

Gooseberry jam is lovely, it sets really well. Try it with added elderflowers or vanilla.

My gooseberries are still on the bush - so late this year and they are just dry and hard still.
Quand je serai vieille je vais vivre en France
Sunny Clucker, she came, she saw, she moved on!
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I emjoy gooseberry jam freshly made. It tends not to set till the fruit turns red. I think it loses flavour if you keep it, so I make a small batch, then store it in the fridge,
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I have never made gooseberry jam before but it all seems fine - I made 1 large and 6 small jars from 1kilo fruit and 1k sugar.

Re the wine, I was a bit :? as every gooseberry wine recipe I found calls for 6lbs of fruit (which is a lot of gooseberries!)...except for one which needed 3lbs. But that recipe also needed 2 heads of elderflowers, and there are absolutely none left round here! }hairout{

I am hoping the jam will be completely delicious - perhaps with scones and cream? I have never made the wine before either - this is the first time I have had that many gooseberries! I mentioned making wine to a friend who had some in his garden and had given me some for the freezer for crumbles. He seemed very keen but I actually felt very embarrassed when I told him that I needed 6 lbs for wine >dowhat< and then after we had picked those, I mentioned the kilo for jam!!!! {rofwl}

I will give a jar of jam in return. If he is lucky {rofwl}
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com