Freezing broad beans

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Freezing broad beans

Post by jemberelli »

Have done a bit of harvesting today and blanched the broad beans, climbing beans and dwarf french beans. Question - do I need to peel the individual beans before freezing? Thanks in advance x
No girls at the moment but look forward to getting more in the future. Proud mummy to Hector, a Bedlington Terrier x Jack Russell
Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: Freezing broad beans

Post by Mo »

I'm not sure what you mean.
Runner and french beans are just topped and tailed (and if there is a stringy bit along the edge that can be removed.
(Ah, but your question was about Broad beans). Well I take them out of the pod. Young and small thats all. I pod them then blanche for a couple of minutes If they are big and old they have a slightly bitter taste which some people like, others (me) dislike. I was told that if you take the skin off the old beans you get rid of that taste. So I suppose it's up to you.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Re: Freezing broad beans

Post by jemberelli »

Thanks Mo, guess I'll just have to wait & see what the first lot are like. If they are bitter I'll peel any future batches. Apologies for not being clear about the beans!
No girls at the moment but look forward to getting more in the future. Proud mummy to Hector, a Bedlington Terrier x Jack Russell