pickled eggs

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I would be interested in the answer to that as well, kateg, because I can't see the point in pickling eggs. Generally you pickle things because you have a lot of them and it preserves them for future use. I remember they used to have them in a big jar on the bar top in some pubs, I can see the point in that, an alternative to a bag of crisps or scratchings. But why would you want to pickle eggs and eat them a couple of weeks later? :?

Ilona
Dave
Legendary Laner

Post by Dave »

its something different to eat
it tasts nice
why do we cook or make cherry pie
we could just eat the cherrys!!!!
so mayby the question should be why do we prepair any food when we could just eat it confused>

why are we slaves to the oven/hob/rayburnor whatever :cry:
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine." -- Abraham Lincoln
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

That made me laugh Dave, you're right. I stopped doing all the trimmings, fancy food, etc, because it takes more pots and pans to do this, and I don't like washing up. Spose I could do pickled eggs, it would only take one pan to boil them, and one jar to put them in. Methinks, I could make up my own quick version, two boiled eggs with a sprinkle of vinegar on them :-D

Ilona
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

Its no good I'm just going to have to find some and try one. I remember them being for sale on pub bars in the days where pubs served mainly drinks, and if you were peckish a bag of crisps or a prok pie or if you were lucky a cheese and pickle cob! Now they all seem to serve gastro-food :-D
Dave
Legendary Laner

Post by Dave »

you can get them in chip shops
or a supermarket
"The trouble with quotes over the Internet is that you never know if they are genuine." -- Abraham Lincoln
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

I shall look out for them....
Dave
Legendary Laner

Post by Dave »

you can't miss them they are
sort of egg shape in a jar and covered in vinegar
:-D :-D :-D :-D :-D
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

Well I'm glad you explained that Dave I am so bird-brained I would have looked for square things in a tin :? :-D
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Pickled egg recipe

Post by kate egg »

This is from an old cookbook that i have used for lots of different recipes, and I found a pickled egg recipe in it!

6 eggs
600ml white vinegar (preferably white wine or cider vinegar)
25g pickling spice
small piece bay leaf

1. boil eggs 10 mins then plunge in cold water
2. shell when coll and pack loosely in wide mouthed jar
3. boil vinegar, spice and bay leaf for 10 mins, strain and cool then pour over eggs.
4. Cover with well fitting vinegar proof lid
5. Leave for 3 to 4 weeks before eating. Save the vinegar it can be used for 2 or 3 batches of pickled eggs before it goes cloudy.

Well I haven't tried it as mine aren't laying so i have none to spare but if anyone else fancies trying it..... let me know how it goes :-D
stace
Legendary Laner

Post by stace »

Kate i will try that, i am going to do my own eggs and inions this year!

Wont be for a few weeks yet but i will let you know!

stace (f+
Bev xx

http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

Hope they are good - shame you cannot send me one through the wires :-D Problem with buying one to try is that it'll be a battery one :cry: so not really keen on that, its years since I stopped buying battery or barn eggs.
Willow
Legendary Laner

Post by Willow »

I've got some 'brewing' already.. I use cider vinegar, cloves (whole) peppercorns (whole) and a couple of tea spoons of brown sugar..
Pop vinegar, cloves, sugar and peppercorns in a pan and heat till the sugar is melted and you can smell the spices.. leave till just warm and then pour over the boiled shelled eggs.. (remove spices if you'd like)
If the mix it too 'vinegary' you can add water to dilute the taste a bit.. not too much though as I think it may not keep as well if its too dilute.
Sorry I cant be more exact with the measures but I sort of slosh it all in to taste!
It really is a matter of what ever you like, you can taste the result within a couple of days.. the longer you leave them, the more the liquid soaks in and the stronger the entire egg gets flavoured..
I find that very fresh eggs are practically impossible to peel, so I leave them for 3 or 4 days..
"Everyone is a genius. But if you judge a fish on its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid"

Albert Einstein
Dean H
Lively Laner

Post by Dean H »

Like Doner kebabs I always thought pickled eggs were only to be eaten whilst nissed as pewts!
Dean.
I may have to grow older, but it doesn't mean I have to grow up!
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

Dean H wrote:Like Doner kebabs I always thought pickled eggs were only to be eaten whilst nissed as pewts!
Dean.

Well I think I would have to be to try one )t'
bluebell
Legendary Laner

Post by bluebell »

Another thing to use a glut of eggs (if that is the right expression) is lemon/orange curd and home made mayonnaise (OK that won't last for ages, but is nice to make occasionally).
http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Helping to give ex-battery hens a fresh start!

http://thevintagebelles.blogspot.co.uk/