Rice - maybe for seniors !

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Rice - maybe for seniors !

Post by Richard »

I had a conversation today about how I've never been a great rice eater (this is even more profound now as I have succombed to Dentures!!).

However, I adore Rice Pudding.

After some thought on the matter, I decided the reasoning behind this could be that back in the 50's when I was a wee strap of a lad, Rice was seen as a Dessert rather than main meal.

Main Meal rice seemed to appear with Chinese Restaurants taking off in the 60's.

Those who can go back that far, am I right do you think and do you have similar tastes ?

Thanks Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

Definitely, I was born just before the end of 1959 so grew up in the 60s. Rice was for pudding, and my lot still love it.

We really only started having rice with food at home (other than take-aways) a few years ago. And I still cannot eat rissoto, it seems to be savoury rice pudding - yuck :!:

If we go out for a meal with David's dad and one of us has curry and rice he cannot understand that its a proper meal - is that all you're having? he will ask. Wot no spuds and veg :shock:
Teasal
Longlasting Laner

Post by Teasal »

I was a 60's child, and never remember having rice at home, other than in a rice pudding - I am pretty sure my Mum would never have even dreamt of serving it as part of a main meal. My dad was the old fashioned meat and veg type!!

Thinking about it, it was probably mid eighties before I even tried a chinese meal with rice. Even now I prefer fried rice to boiled rice.
taff
Longlasting Laner

Post by taff »

my mother's italian so we always ate risotto, but I'm not that fond of plain boiled rice with anything, it even has to be chilli and chips, not rice.
to err is human..to moo, bovine...
kdoc
Lively Laner

Post by kdoc »

I was a 60's child but 70 before I remember much honest :oops: anyhow we had milky rice pudding and also macaroni milk pudding,could never get my head around having it as savoury.Use to have to keep a rota of who had the bowl to scrape out with al the yummy skin )t'
Karen
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

What a bizarre thread but how true. In my early life rice was indeed only found in puddings, the same was pretty much true of macaroni; although macaroni cheese had been invented by that time. We only really had rice as part of a main when my dad started trying to cook curries during the late seventies when the world suddenly seemed to open up (vesta ready meals were invented about that time although I have never to this day tasted one). Dad’s curry was on the whole a stew into which he added tons of curry powder, they tended to be meat and two veg boiled into submission and napalm hot. He used to make a huge vat and freeze tray of it so that we could have our taste buds systematically destroyed weekly over the winter months. I will add in his defence that he did try very hard to get the authentic taste but just didn’t know what that was. Eventually he discovered a proper recipe and the heat came down and flavour went up which was good. I still tend to have naan bread with curry or fried rice from a take away.
Bah Humbug
Nellie
Lively Laner

Post by Nellie »

I was at school in the 70s. One of the school meals served was chicken fricasee - chicken in a white sauce with peas mixed in, and served on a bed of rice.

It was a fave of mine, which is why I remember it so well.

Another fave was chocolate crunch and pink sauce. Yummy!
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

Oooh chicken fricasee - I loved that. Pudding fave was semolina (not tapioca - frogspawn, yuck) and chocolate haystacks )eat(
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

I like tapioca, far better than the rubarb crumble we used to get.
Bah Humbug
seahorse
Legendary Laner

Post by seahorse »

Kateg, I used to have semolina and chocolate haystacks..Yumm
How did they make the haystacks????/
We ate tons of rice pud as kids, rice as an accompaniment to a curry only happened in the adult world. My dad still wont touch the stuff unless its smothered in creamy milk and sugar, topped with nutmeg. Those were the days.... (f+
Looove chucks!
Nellie
Lively Laner

Post by Nellie »

I've never heard of chocolate haystacks, but they do sound delicious.

What were they made of?
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

I know Giant Haystacks.

Semolina - awaesome, especially with top of the milk or cream on top. I liked the skin as well !
Last edited by Richard on 02 Oct 2008, 22:32, edited 1 time in total.
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

Chocolate hatstacks - um, I guess they were made from maybe crushed biscuits or cornflakes and some kind of melted chocolate. They were conical shape about an inch or so high and were crunchy. Yum, yum.

Think we must be all a similar age, with simialr age dads who wouldn't dream of eating rice other than a pud :-D
chickentina
Legendary Laner

Post by chickentina »

i was born 1969 ..so really grew up through the 70,s and we only ate rice as a pudding, mum and dad were typically meat and veg people and even today mum won,t touch a curry or chinese.

We loved rice pudding at our primary school with a dollop of hot strawberry jam in the middle...yum!

Also we had (like your haystacks) chocolate footballs with chocolate sauce , also chocolate sponge with mint green custard ..yep it was bizzare but delicious....oh memories!!

tina xx
mum to five lovely children, nine gorgeous girls, two adorable cats a bouncey border collie pup and a patient loving hubby xxxxx
Teasal
Longlasting Laner

Post by Teasal »

We always had Rice Pudding with a dollop of strawberry jam in the middle, for school dinner, on Mondays. Same menu every week. And we also had what we called concrete with pink custard. It was like a very hard shortbread - you needed a chisel to break it up.