fruit spirit for xmas

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
kitla
Legendary Laner

fruit spirit for xmas

Post by kitla »

I made some sloe gin a couple of years ago - its still sitting there undrunk!
I used too much sugar & it tastes like medicine!
This year there is such an abundance of fruit out there my friend & I thought we'd
have a go at making a few that'd be ready for our new year's eve party (hic!)
Sloe takes too long, so I was thinking of using blackberrys, elderberrys, & plums,
Suggestions so far are Blackberry whisky, plum & ginger brandy, even strawberry
vodka, how about elderberry rum?
Any ideas, recipes, tips? I'll only want one bottle of each.
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
kitla
Legendary Laner

Re: fruit spirit for xmas

Post by kitla »

ooh dear, I've now heard that raw elderberries are poisonous unless cooked, not
sure if the alcohol would make them safe, perhaps I'll pass on those just incase!
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

I'd give sloe gin a try again, using less sugar if that was the problems. We make sloe gin and it is very nice, if a bit sweet. Alternatively, try damson gin.
Michael
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

I have just bottled damson gin, using half the recommended amount of sugar. It is easier to sweeten as you go along if wanted but we don't don't like it too syrupy. Also ready for Christmas is raspberry vodka. Both turned out lovely.
Will put up recipes if wanted.
As for elderberries being poisonous, lots make elderberry wine. What is different I wonder.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

albertajune wrote:I have just bottled damson gin, using half the recommended amount of sugar. It is easier to sweeten as you go along if wanted but we don't don't like it too syrupy. Also ready for Christmas is raspberry vodka. Both turned out lovely.
As for elderberries being poisonous, lots make elderberry wine. What is different I wonder.

I think it may be the elderberry plant rather than the berries that are poisonous, and
I grew up on elderberry wine (watered down of course!) so I wouldn't worry if it was
going to be fermenting for a several months, but as we're intending to drink this n/y
I don't want to risk it!
Raspberry vodka sounds yummy, if I can find organic raspberries (or strawbs) at this time of year I may go for that.
I have decided on blackberry whisky, lemon vodka (done this before - lemon peel into
vodka & keep in freezer) and trying to decide what to do with the plums, we're not
so keen on gin so are thinking of Plum Rum (as it sounds funny) or Plum brandy.
--Immanuel Kant
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

kitla wrote:
albertajune wrote:I have just bottled damson gin, using half the recommended amount of sugar. It is easier to sweeten as you go along if wanted but we don't don't like it too syrupy. Also ready for Christmas is raspberry vodka. Both turned out lovely.

I think it may be the elderberry plant rather than the berries that are poisonous, and
I grew up on elderberry wine (watered down of course!) so I wouldn't worry if it was
going to be fermenting for a several months, but as we're intending to drink this n/y
I don't want to risk it!
Raspberry vodka sounds yummy, if I can find organic raspberries (or strawbs) at this time of year I may go for that.
I have decided on blackberry whisky, lemon vodka (done this before - lemon peel into
vodka & keep in freezer) and trying to decide what to do with the plums, we're not
so keen on gin so are thinking of Plum Rum (as it sounds funny) or Plum brandy.
It all sounds good. You should have a good Christmas, if a bleary one )pty
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

Apart from the blackberry whisky which is for hubby, we've decided to make a
multi coloured vodka tower (we have 5 small bottles that fit together) So far I've
done blackberry & vanilla, and plum, next is lemon & lime, raspberry, (thankyou
Albertajune) and orange. Its going to look sooo pretty! )pty
--Immanuel Kant