Price of my yoghurt

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Price of my yoghurt

Post by Spreckly »

The yoghurt which I buy (On....en), is steadily rising in price. Today it was £1.25. I eat it for medicinal purposes, as it contains lactobacillus and acidopholus. I quickly skim the shelves in that area, but cannot find a substitute with these ingredients.

Have other Laners any suggestions, please?
chookmike
Longlasting Laner

Re: Price of my yoghurt

Post by chookmike »

Yeo Valley contains those bacteria and while the same price it's a family firm here in England.

Cheers

Mike
rhubarb93
Legendary Laner

Post by rhubarb93 »

Make your own in a flask with milk warmed to blood heat and a dessertspoon of a good bio yog as starter? Dirt cheap.
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Thanks for the replies to my query.

I used to have a yoghurt maker years ago, goodness knows what happened to it. Just a query though, will the biocultures, etc become diluted over time if I make my own as per rhubarb's suggestion?
HedgeHugger
Legendary Laner

Post by HedgeHugger »

I think any 'live' yoghurt will have the cultures you're looking for.
Plain is best.
rhubarb93
Legendary Laner

Post by rhubarb93 »

No, I don't think the culture will get diluted - they are live bacteria so are regrowing all the time, Wouldn't go sour if it died
HedgeHugger
Legendary Laner

Post by HedgeHugger »

Rachel's yoghurts also have what you're looking for, but they are expensive too.
I used to eat them quite regularly as they used to be always on offer. Some nice flavours and a nice yoghurt overall.
bluebell
Legendary Laner

Post by bluebell »

I think you've had some good advice from Rhubarb regarding making your own yoghurt.

I loved making yoghurt. Think I'll get my maker out and start having yoghurt for breakfast again. )t'
http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Helping to give ex-battery hens a fresh start!

http://thevintagebelles.blogspot.co.uk/
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

I make my own as well and also in a flask. Heat the milk til bubbles start but no further - don't boil it - hold it there for a few minutes then as an added extra I whisk in a tblsp of skimmed milk powder. Let it cool to blood heat then put it into the flask. I don't think the cultures become diluted but you are at risk of multiplying the bad ones as well as the good, so be really strict about sterilising everything.
rhubarb93
Legendary Laner

Post by rhubarb93 »

FrreRanger, do you know what the extra skimmed milk does? I had it in my recipe too but have also made it without and it seemed OK
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

No, I don't! I know that sounds daft as why would I carry on with it? Anecdotally, I think it makes the yogurt a bit thicker and maybe by giving extra milk proteins (which you are denaturing by heating)
secret squirrel
Legendary Laner

Post by secret squirrel »

We use an ****yeo. You can get them all over the place. The mixes that go in them come in LOADS of different flavours and varieties, full fat and low fat . They still work out much cheaper than buying tub by tub and I make a litre at a time.
Easy, clean method.
My favourites are Greek yoghurt with honey. Yum, and Greek with Coconut,which is a good all rounder but extra useful for using In things like curries.
Lorna {hug}
I`m not a teacher for nothing, you know!! If I was clever, I`d be dangerous.
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

I found a tub of Morr......ns own make yoghurt last week, price 50p. It contains the acidopholus (sp?), and lactobacillus which I go for, but it is very tart. I have not therefore tried making my own yet.
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

If too tart, when made you can add a little honey or icing sugar to taste. I have done both.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

Honey and icing sugar sound delicious, June.