How best to cook puffballs?

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
Annemieke
Lively Laner

How best to cook puffballs?

Post by Annemieke »

Every so often this time of the year we find giant puffballs hereabouts. I always saute them with onions and the like, but they are very dry even if you use lots of butter or oil. Are there any other/better ways to use them?
Love, Annemieke.
Love, Annemieke Wigmore, Somerset, UK http://thoughtforfood-aw.blogspot.com
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Re: How best to cook puffballs?

Post by lancashire lass »

lucky you to be able to find puff balls )t' I've never had one so can't really help but when I've been given wild mushroom (the easy identified ones), it was always recommended to fry them in bacon fat. Maybe make a cream sauce with them rather than as a serving? Or how about stuffing with all sorts of ingredients (onion, pepper, grains, bacon) and baking?
manda

Post by manda »

Nice if you dip them in egg and then cover in breadcrumbs before you fry them....bit of parmesan in the breadcrumbs is nice too )t'
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Annemieke
Lively Laner

Post by Annemieke »

Will try Manda's suggestion - first I have to send out hubby to find me another one!
Lancashire lass' idea seems a bit iffy - puffballs really have a texture all their own. If Mike finds a third one I will try that too.
Love, Annemieke Wigmore, Somerset, UK http://thoughtforfood-aw.blogspot.com