Marmalade & ginger marmalade

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
Mo
Legendary Laner

Marmalade & ginger marmalade

Post by Mo »

I have a big saucepan of seville oranges chopped and soaking which I'm about to cook.
OH says I should make some of them into Ginger Marmalade by adding some of the lump ginger in syrup. But my ginger marmalade recipe doesn't have oranges in at all - just crystallised ginger.

What do you think?
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
HedgeHugger
Legendary Laner

Re: Marmalade & ginger marmalade

Post by HedgeHugger »

I made apple and ginger jam last year. I just made up an apple jelly and added some crystallized ginger after adding in the sugar. Not very gingery but ok.

I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Any chance of putting up your ginger marmalade recipe, please? :)
Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: Marmalade & ginger marmalade

Post by Mo »

My book* says 2lb crystallised ginger, 3 pints water, 4 lb sugar, 1teasp ground ginger.
Chop ginger small. Boil sugar & water to syrup, add ginger, boil till set. Put in warm jars & cover at once.

* the Woman's Own cookbook that was on offer from the magazine just as I was off to college more than 50 yrs ago.

I'd cooked my oranges and was waiting for the sugar to dissolve / eating lunch, and OH has made himself half a jar by adding 2 round lumps of Opies Stem ginger (in syrup), chopped up into some of the fruit. The kitchen smells vey gingery.
We shall see. Or he will since I don't like ginger, or marmalade. Now to cook the rest.

We have plenty of apples, and one year I made loads of apple jelly flavoured with spices
Apple & ginger (powdered)
Apple & cinnamon
A & cloves
etc.
Also Rhubarb & ginger jam

But we prefer other jams - plum, damson, greengage, blackcurrant. So I don't bother now.
Apple jelly looks pretty though.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire