can I cook eggs in a microwave?

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
kitla
Legendary Laner

can I cook eggs in a microwave?

Post by kitla »

We're in the middle of having a new kitchen built & I have no oven or hob. We like
having boiled eggs with our curry & I'm going to microwave a curry for us tonight.
I realise eggs in shells would explode but is there another way? If I made a hole in
the shell would it work? Any ideas?
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Re: can I cook eggs in a microwave?

Post by lancashire lass »

Highly advisable to take the egg out of the shell and put it in a cup - you might even have to pierce the egg yolk too before microwaving :-D
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Post by Totally Scrambled »

Could you heat the water in the microwave or kettle and then add the eggs to it replacing the water as it cools with more hot water. It will take longer than cooking them in boiling water but should work.
Dom
PS I have a camping stove I could e-mail you :-D
Ali Woks My World
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

aha! good thinking! I have a camping stove somewhere I'd forgotten all about,
now I wonder if I can find a pan amongst the chaos :?
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
chookmike
Longlasting Laner

Post by chookmike »

Hello Kitla

Get a Braun egg boiler - every hen owner should have one! Perfect boiled eggs however you want them and the same every time. Does up to six at a time. Had ours over 20 years and going strong.

Cheers

Mike
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

chookmike wrote:Hello Kitla

Get a Braun egg boiler - every hen owner should have one! Perfect boiled eggs however you want them and the same every time. Does up to six at a time. Had ours over 20 years and going strong.

Cheers

Mike

didn't see a Braun, but did see some others ... I want one :oops:
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

chookmike wrote:Hello Kitla

Cheers

Mike

crikey I've never heard of those before, certainly handy when the stove isn't working
but are they really any better than using a saucepan? They look rather like an
incubator!
--Immanuel Kant
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

I'd never heard of one of these either, and I'd probably dismiss it as yet another kitchen gadget to clutter the place up.

kitla wrote:but are they really any better than using a saucepan?

Do you know how many times I put something on the hob, turn round to do something ... and then forget until I start to smell something not right :oops: I suppose using an electric steamer could work just the same once you figure out suitable times. With a set timer on an egg boiler, be able to cook eggs at different settings. Some have poaching accessories so dual purpose too.