lovely tomato soup

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
Kuikentje
Longlasting Laner

lovely tomato soup

Post by Kuikentje »

Even though I do say so myself (and so does my husband, who can be fussy)- I made this because the supermarket was selling big bags of ripe tomatoes.

2 1/2 lb ripe tomatoes, unpeeled, with any stalks that are still attached
1 medium sized potato, preferably unpeeled
1 celery stick
1 onion
seasoning (I used vegetable stock cubes)
1 dsp tomato puree (optional)
herbs

Boil the tomatoes in only enough water to stop them sticking - they will soon produce plenty of liquid. Boil them to a mush, let it cool and pick out the stalks.
Saute the chopped potato, onion and celery.
Add the tomatoes to the other vegetables and add seasoning. Put through the blender till you get the consistency you like - you will probably need two or three goes unless you have an industrial-sized blender. Reheat, adding whatever herbs you fancy - I had coriander available, but dill and basil go especially well with tomatoes.

This is lovely straight away but if you can leave it a day or two in the fridge for the flavours to develop, it will be even better.
Life's too short to quarrel
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Re: lovely tomato soup

Post by Freeranger »

Sounds yummy, and it's a great way of using over-ripe tomatoes. I'm not growing any this year, but maybe I could do what you did and find a special offer. When I was learning to cook as a sprog I did a lot of tomato soup and remember not screwing the lid onto the blender one time.......Your post made me cringe at the memory.
bluebell
Legendary Laner

Re: lovely tomato soup

Post by bluebell »

Oooh, thank you for the recipe. Will give that a go )t'
http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Helping to give ex-battery hens a fresh start!

http://thevintagebelles.blogspot.co.uk/