Microwaving rice

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
p.penn

Microwaving rice

Post by p.penn »

I have a microwave rice cooker which I went to use for the first time today, but it only gives the instructions for white rice and I do prefer wholegrain. }hairout{

I made a very botched attempt to cook some wholegrain, but really could do with some guidelines re water/ timings.... if anyone cooks brown rice in the microwave, please could you help me! Thanks
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Re: Microwaving rice

Post by Freeranger »

We add boiling water - whatever size & shape the container, always a depth of two fingers' worth of water above - then cover the bowl with e.g. an upturned plate and full power for about 15 mins or a wee bit more if you like it softer. Seems OK but am no ricey connoisseur.
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

I am on my 3rd microwave rice cooker, it is the only way I can cook rice and it comes out perfect every time. I always cook white Basmati as that is what everyone likes but I have the instructions that came with one of my cookers and it says for brown rice to cook for 16 minutes, stirring every 5 mins and adding more boiling water to just cover if necessary. Enjoy :-D
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Thanks Kate. How much water do you initially add for brown rice?
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

Same whatever rice you're cooking - you weigh the amount of rice you need and just cover it with boiling water. Top up every time you take it out to stir, just so as the water covers the rice, it kind of steams it....
manda

Post by manda »

I always use the microwave too Helen....I just use 2:1 water to rice.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I tried it again last eve with some new, organic brown rice. On the packet it said 30 mins, so I tried 25 mins plus five mins standing, but it needed another 5. I used 3x water as when I tried 2x it wasn't enough, but it was a bit wet, so will try less next time.

It tasted fab though. :-D
Helen xx

bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

I love my microwave rice cooker. My wave is 900 watt so I use 80% power and 12.5 minutes for basmati - 14 mins for Brown. I just cover the rice. The blurb with mine said that te first cooking is boiling but by the end it is just seeming. Too much watered you're just boiling so you get wet rice.
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.