strawberry jam question

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

strawberry jam question

Post by bmpsands »

Can I use bottled lemon juice rather than "proper" squeezed stuff? If so, how much. My recipe says "juice o 2 lemons". How many MLS is that?
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Re: strawberry jam question

Post by jannie »

I have used bottled lemon juice in strawberry jam .. there are approx 2 tablespoons of juice in an average lemon. )t'
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

Thank you. That's great.

Bea
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Post by KathJ »

I made some stawberry jam for the first time last weekend as we had a glut. I didn't have any lemons just a few slices in the freezer that I had for drinks so I just chucked them in while it was boiling. I also added 4 lavender spikes while it was boiling and it added a nice extra flavour. Unfortunately I'm not one for sticking to a receipe {rofwl} but it worked out OK and set well.
Kath xx

Mum to my beautiful girls Lucy, Holly, Rosie, Hettie, Polly, Ruby, Lily, Penny, Gracie, Maisie, Molly, Evie and my gorgeous boy Toby

RIP my beautiful Ranger, Roxy, Bluebelle, Poppy, Speckle, Daisy and Honey xxxx
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

The strawberry jam is now made - half of it was donated to our charity stall at a weekend event. For next year - how do I get rid of the "scum" from the top of the boiling pan easily. I tried soaking up with paper towel and scraping off with a variety of instruments. Clearly I didn't get it all because a couple of the jars had some white residue at the top. Obviously I kept those for our use.
jannie
Hedgehog Champion

Post by jannie »

Stir in a spoonful of butter once it gets to setting point. )t'