Freezing!

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Freezing!

Post by KathJ »

Has anyone ever tried freezing raw potatoes? We have quite a few that we need to dig up because we're extending the chicken run and they don't always keep that well. Last year we had a glut of beetroot >veg< so after I'd pickled as many as I could manage I cut them into chunks and put in the freezer which I used to roast and they were OK. I also froze sliced up onions as I find they don't always store for very long and they're great in stews straight from the freezer. I've frozen mashed potato but just wondered if I could do the same as the beetroot and use the potato chunks in a stew or roasted >dum<
Kath xx

Mum to my beautiful girls Lucy, Holly, Rosie, Hettie, Polly, Ruby, Lily, Penny, Gracie, Maisie, Molly, Evie and my gorgeous boy Toby

RIP my beautiful Ranger, Roxy, Bluebelle, Poppy, Speckle, Daisy and Honey xxxx
Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: Freezing!

Post by Mo »

The books say they don't freeze, so I never have.
Keep them cool and dark they should be fine. If you think they may have blight store them in small bags (not plastic) to stop it spreading. And put any that are damaged or dubious to one side to use first.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
HedgeHugger
Legendary Laner

Post by HedgeHugger »

I seem to remember that potatoes go mushy and horrible if frozen raw.
I have frozen them once they've been boiled/parboiled.
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

I haven't frozen them raw and to be honest I think that you will have a better end result if you par boil them. There might be a tendency for them to go black if not. Not sure about this but it is lodged in my brain for some reason.
All you want to do is to cut them to size, par boil for about 5mins, rinse with cold water and shake about in a clean tea cloth to dry. I always freeze flat on trays and then bag. Any large ones can be partially baked whole before freezing to finish off for when jacket spuds are wanted. Of course always cook from frozen.

If you do try the freezing without blanching, do let us know how they turn out.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.