New take on a Cheesecake...

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
HedgeHugger
Legendary Laner

New take on a Cheesecake...

Post by HedgeHugger »

I make my own yoghurt, and I prefer greek yoghurt, so strain the yoghurt I make to make it thick.

I discovered that you can make a kind of cream cheese, by leaving the yoghurt to strain for longer, so decided to invent a Greek Yoghurt Cheese cheesecake.

I don't have digestives but do have oatcakes, so crumbed some oatcakes mixed with melted butter and sugar and squished it into a base.
Made a fresh batch of yoghurt overnight so took some out for extra straining for the cheese. Left it hanging for about 3-4 hours.
Plopped the super thick, not quite cheese, yoghurt on the base, into the fridge to thicken more.
Free blackberries, picked yesterday, free apples (picked last year and frozen) boiled, mushed and put through a strainer (I hate those blackberry seeds!), add sugar to the fruity pulp and boil again.
Fruit cooled and slopped on top.

Hubby was impressed. I think he thought it would be a little strange.
Not sure if it's any less fattening/calorific than a regular cheesecake, but it's yoghurt, so must be healthy :P
A foodie experiment that worked woohoo! :)
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Re: New take on a Cheesecake...

Post by Freeranger »

Clever you! I make my own yogurt too and had also heard of the straining idea but now I have an incentive to try it. Thanks for the prompt. I'm sure it IS healthier than most cheesecakes and if not ,I shall delude myself. )like(