Garlic Infused Oils!! A No No!!!!

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
stace
Legendary Laner

Garlic Infused Oils!! A No No!!!!

Post by stace »

Hi People!

I know we have been talking about bottling things in olive oil etc over the past few days!

Just come across this on a web page, interesting reading!

Have a look as there is a Warning on it!!

Never Infuse Garlic <PS thought is was worth its own thread! i Had no idea!!!The peice about the garlic is right near the bottom of the page

stace
Bev xx

http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
Babycakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Babycakes »

I have heared about this before, thats why I keep my garlic oil in the fridge...or is that not safe either..?
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I've just read it.
To sumarise (for those on dial-up) - it says that garlic bulbs could contain botulism and the poison would grow in the oil at room temperature.
This is also why bottling runner beans used to be risky (still would be, but now we have freezers).
Nellie
Lively Laner

Post by Nellie »

Errr ... I'm still alive, and have been using garlic cloves in the bottom of bottles of oil, and in bottles of home-made salad dressing, for years.

Reading those articles suggests I should be six feet under by now!
stace
Legendary Laner

Post by stace »

Well it will be a first time for me, so i was scouting about looking for tips and come across the page!

As i am giving them for xmas presents i didnt want to kill anyone! :oops:

I have bought some dried chilli's today so i am going for that at the moment!

Alot of people like you do it nellie and i must say it was a bit of a shock! :shock:

stace
Bev xx

http://www.freshstartforhens.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;"
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

It's not so much the room temperature, but the oil which will exclude air - these are perfect ANAEROBIC growing conditions for the Clostridium botulinum to survive and grow, and produce the toxin which is fatal. The bacteria is a natural soil organism (a lot like tetanus) so the risk of getting it in the product is very easy unless you cook it thoroughly beforehand. It really is Russian roulette to ignore the advice - there is rarely a 2nd chance if you get it wrong.

Most garlic bulbs store very well in a cool dark place. If you want to extend the storage, then try other methods. Garlic can be preserved by freezing - make your own garlic butter, roll it into a little sausage and cover with clingfilm, and all you do is let it defrost just a little to chop a bit off for garlic bread & cooking etc. Or maybe have it ready chopped into slices so its not so difficult to get a piece even when frozen.

Or puree it with oil and freeze it (why not try ice cubes and just pop one in the cooking, eg in a spaggy bol.

Smoking garlic is obviously not available to everyone although mini smokers are available (but expensive!)
stace
Legendary Laner

Post by stace »

Hi Lass

I wanted to give garlic and chilli infused with olive oil for some italian friends i have, for a xmas prezzy

Its now getting a bit complecated :?

stace
Bev xx

lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

How about herbs in oil instead, eg rosemary (although it is rapidly becoming the wrong time of year to be doing this, but still worth a try)
stace
Legendary Laner

Post by stace »

Thanks Lass

I will do the rosemary, and i have dried chillis so they can go in a bottle on their own!I have bought them so have about 30

They love the Hot Stuff so will cover them in olive oil and tie a bow on it! )t'

stace
Bev xx

Nellie
Lively Laner

Post by Nellie »

OK, I'll admit it, all these posts are making me a little nervous of the garlic on oil stuff.

When I do mine, I skin the garlic, comletely chop off the roots, cut it in half lengthwise and remove the growing part.

When I put the garlic in the bottle I leave the lid very loose as the garlic starts to ferment. Within a couple of days there is a serious amount of little gas bubbles given off by the fermenting garlic. It takes a couple of months for the bubbles to finish.

If all these bubbles are being formed, then surely there is little opportunity for anaerobic activity, as it must be aerobic.

Or am I just plain wrong and need to chuck the lot?
stace
Legendary Laner

Post by stace »

I know how you feel Nellie!

To be honest i am a little peed off about it now i am glad i looked and found it, but it would have been something i could have done easy and quick(even though i still cant find the bottles) Its nice to get something home made!

I have been looking at a few diff sites today some are still saying do it the way you are! Its very confusing i think!!! confused> confused>!!! Well i am going for the dried chilli which i have bought , and perhaps the rosemary!Even then it says heat in a pan with the oil, then pour into bottles. I just wanted to chuck it all in together without the heating up!

Oh well!..... )c+ You have been doing this along time and are still here to tell the story! )c(

stace
Bev xx

lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Perhaps this paper on the subject may help http://postharvest.ucdavis.edu/datastor ... 234-11.pdf
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

yike* think we will be avoiding garlic in oil completely sile}
stace
Legendary Laner

Post by stace »

Yes kate!

When i have friends around for dinner, i always use a garlic olive oil but then we eat it that evening so thats ok!

i just do it in the morning and leave it in the fridge until we eat!

stace
Bev xx

Nellie
Lively Laner

Post by Nellie »

OK, I submit to your wise words.

The bottle and its gloriously fragranced oil lovingly made from home-grown garlic ... is in the bin. +cry+