Challah Bread

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Challah Bread

Post by fabindia »

Made a Challah braided loaf today. It's a traditional Jewish bread. Made with eggs, which makes a little cake-like and sweet. Nice though, will make it again.

Michael
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Re: Challah Bread

Post by Spreckly »

It looks very appetising.
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

That looks so good. How many strands in that plait? I must say that everything that you show us looks so impressive.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

I used a 5 strand plait, pretty simply really. I did see one recipe for Challah bread where they divided the dough into 2/3rds and 1/3rd. They then did a 3 strand plait with each so they had a large loaf and a smaller on and then put the smaller one on top of the larger one to prove. It turned out pretty impressive. I shall try it next weekend a post a pic if it turns out OK :-D
Michael
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

Look forward to seeing it. I Must have a go so that when I have visitors I can show off a bit. )t'
manda

Post by manda »

It looks delicious...never tried making it before...looks lovely
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

fabindia wrote: I did see one recipe for Challah bread where they divided the dough into 2/3rds and 1/3rd. They then did a 3 strand plait with each so they had a large loaf and a smaller on and then put the smaller one on top of the larger one to prove. It turned out pretty impressive.

Well, I baked a massive loaf last night, probably nearly a kilo of flour and a double decker! I would have taken a picture but had all the family round tonight plus the two little kids from next door and they have eaten it all before I could take a photo.
Michael
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

It must have been good )t'
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

That does look good. Eggs are no problem so I'll have to see if I can find the recipe. Our son is coming to stay the weekend after next and, like me, he'll eat any sort of bread. He did draw the line at pumpernickel now that I come to remember.
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.