Veggie chilli - yum-yum

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Veggie chilli - yum-yum

Post by kate egg »

VEGETABLE CHILLI
Serves 4 ish

1 large onion chopped
1 clove garlic (optional)
2 tsp paprika
2 tsp chilli powder (I use mild)
1 tsp cumin
2 tsp coriander
425g/15oz can red kidney beans
425g/15oz can chopped tomatoes
1 level tbsp tomato puree
420ml/3/4 pt vegetable stock
425g/15oz can chickpeas

Place all the ingredients except the chickpeas into a slow cooker. Cook on low all day.
1/2 hr or so before you are ready to serve put chickpeas in a liquidiser or use a handblender to blend to a pulp.
Add to the pot for the final 1/2 hour.
Serve with jacket potato and grated cheese )c+ .

I have made this chilli many times but today was the first time in the slow cooker, just had it for tea and very yummy.

I used to make a huge vat of it when my lads were in Boys Brigade - we had a village steam fair in October each year and I used to bake about 100 spuds, make a vat of chilli and sell it to raise funds for the BB, it was very popular and always sold out. (instead of 400g tins I used 2.7kg :shock: ) It's pretty healthy though except for the cheese. Most of the funds raised in the evening were for the British Heart Foundation so it was good to have a healthy food on offer instead of hot dogs and burgers )t'
Effie
Legendary Laner

Post by Effie »

Sounds good but my favourtie is the 'Vegetable Vegie Chilli' from allrecipes.com, even as sworn omivores we eat this every two weeks and just love it!

At about £3.50 for 16 portion, it ticks all the boxes but as a surprise it is vegan. My kids love it, and I know it is healthy eating as it is packed with pulses and vegetables. Don't think I could sell it to sceptics but that's their problem )t'

After a night of convetional, proscessed junk I feel ready for some real food )c+
" -zere isn't much to do 'ere, unless you like cooking and chickens!"
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

Ooo I shall google that and try it )t'
lou
Legendary Laner

Post by lou »

That does sound yummy, i don't have a slow cooker but i will still try that out
)c+
"Happiness is making the most of what you have."
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

Without a slow cooker -

Soften the onion first in a little oil and then add the spices and sizzle for a minute. Then add all the other ingredients except the chickpeas, simmer until ready about 30-40 mins, blend chickpeas add to pot and warm through.

I freeze this as well in separate pots to have with a potato for a lunch )t'
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

Effie wrote:Sounds good but my favourtie is the 'Vegetable Vegie Chilli' from allrecipes.com, even as sworn omivores we eat this every two weeks and just love it!

Looked at that website but there are about 4 recipes, which one is it? Thx in advance )t'
Effie
Legendary Laner

Post by Effie »

It's this one

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Veggie-Vegetarian-Chili/Detail.aspx

I think it is the highest rated, there are a lot of recipes on the site :? , I keep track using the recipe book facility ^b: - it's easy to get lost in there )t'

Effie
" -zere isn't much to do 'ere, unless you like cooking and chickens!"
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

That's great, thanks, I have saved a copy! Lot more interesting ingrediants in it, I'll give it a go when I have used my current supplies up )t'
essentialequine
Lively Laner

Post by essentialequine »

just back from Tesco wish I had read that recipie before I went, sounds lovley, really trying hard to eat more veggie meals to try and loose weight.