Curry for breakfast!

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Curry for breakfast!

Post by fabindia »

Did curry filled sourdough pancakes for breakfast this morning :-)

It's a sort of cheat on the pucka (there's a very Indian word for you) Indian dosa. Sourdough of course is fermented wheat flour, dosa is a complex fermentation of rice and dal, used to make almost paper thin pancakes.

Should add, followed that with a fruit pancake. Nice way to start a Sunday.
Michael
Totally Scrambled
Site Admin

Re: Curry for breakfast!

Post by Totally Scrambled »

I loved having a breakfast curry, flavourful rather than hot, when I visited Sri Lanka and the Maldives although I did have to ask the chef to make their local dishes specially for me as normally they served European food in the hotel to cater for all those visitors who wanted the same food they had at home.
It meant I got really good food as the chefs loved to show off all the local delicacies to someone who really appreciated them rather than making foreign food all the time. )eat(
Chips fried in coconut oil are something to be avoided )loo(
Dom
Ali Woks My World
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Sounds good - I used to ofter have dosa for breakfast in India, yum! )eat(
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Post by jemberelli »

Can't claim to have eaten the real McCoy but I do love a bit of cold takeaway curry the next morning! As a student I would always save a bit of the sauce to go on toast for breakfast the following day )c+ )eat(
No girls at the moment but look forward to getting more in the future. Proud mummy to Hector, a Bedlington Terrier x Jack Russell
chookmike
Longlasting Laner

Post by chookmike »

Totally agree with TS and you all.

I spent a year as a tour rep in Sri Lanka - 1985 perhaps - and loved the fruit curry in the morning - mango, mangosteen, papaya, pineapple. Tea or a beer goes well, but no beer if you are 'in public' I still love curry gravy and fresh peach at this time of year.

Our guests were wealthy older people - it was expensive then - and they just wanted toast and bacon and eggs etc.

Lots of complaints about the food and I remember two couples demanding to go home IMMEDIATELY. Despite baking the table salt between services it still tended to clog up in the cellar due to the humidity and despite the usual trick of putting rice in with it, they wanted to ruin their trip. Another two left because it was too hot. I couldn't get them out fast enough.

I have never got back but would love to. Wonderful people, beautiful country.

Cheers
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

Totally Scrambled wrote:I did have to ask the chef to make their local dishes specially for me as normally they served European food in the hotel to cater for all those visitors who wanted the same food they had at home.
Dom

We had the same in Kenya, folk complaining all the time that there wasn't more British food on (they meant American rubbish like hot dogs and pizza). Fortunately the hotel in which we stayed was owned by and Indian Gentleman and catered for a large number of Indian Guests so there was a decent selection of Indian foods on for each meal. One thing that did strike me as particularly damning for our own food industry was that the majority of the produce used in the hotel was local, the chicken in particular tasted like chicken which meant that a lot of the English were refusing to eat it because it tasted funny... just goes to show how bland the corporations have made the poultry that they peddle in our shops.
Bah Humbug