Elderberries

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Elderberries

Post by bmpsands »

When we redid the chicken's outer run we cut down a straggly looking thing growing down one side. It is now back with a vengeance and appears to be producing elderberries. I'm not into wine making, but I do like elderflower flavoured water and cordial.

Does anyone have an idiot-proof recipe for elderflower cordial? The only one I have, from a posh book, looks like a month's hard work. There are probably recipes on the internet but I'd prefer a personal recommendation.

Thanks in advance.
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
manda

Re: Elderberries

Post by manda »

This is the one I use Bea

Elderflower Cordial

INGREDIENTS

2 1/2 kg white sugar, either granulated or caster
2 unwaxed lemons
20 fresh elderflower heads, stalks trimmed
85 g citric acid (from chemists)
INSTRUCTIONS

Put the sugar and 1.5 litres/23/4 pints water into the largest saucepan you have. Gently heat, without boiling, until the sugar has dissolved. Give it a stir every now and again.

Pare the zest from the lemons using a potato peeler, then slice the lemons into rounds.

Once the sugar has dissolved, bring the pan of syrup to the boil, then turn off the heat.

Fill a washing up bowl with cold water. Give the flowers a gentle swish around to loosen any dirt or bugs. Lift flowers out, gently shake and transfer to the syrup along with the lemons, zest and citric acid, then stir well.

Cover the pan and leave to infuse for 24 hrs.
Line a colander with a clean tea towel, then sit it over a large bowl or pan. Ladle in the syrup – let it drip slowly through. Discard the bits left in the towel.

Use a funnel and a ladle to fill sterilised bottles.

The cordial is ready to drink straight away and will keep in the fridge for up to 6 weeks. Or freeze it in plastic containers or ice cube trays and defrost as needed.

Something else I do ....
If you get a lot of flowers you can always pick some and freeze them for later batches...they're not as good but they still do the trick.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 1 dog (who feels like we're living with 4!), 1 cats, a few sheep and 11 chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny