Gluten free

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
chookmike
Longlasting Laner

Gluten free

Post by chookmike »

Just in case we have some new members in possession of the Holy Grail, this is my bi-annual plea for anyone who has a recipe or name of a commercial gluten free bread which satisfies.

Having been a very good boy for months my resolve broke the other day and I had just one slice of a small sliced loaf with a big chunk of good cheese and a ripe tomato. It was lovely but, boy, did I pay a price.

I miss bread so much....

Thanks in advance

Mike
little suzie
Learner Laner

Re: Gluten free

Post by little suzie »

Gluten Free Bread for bread maker - recipe used by my Dad who has coeliac disease. He says it is good but I have not tasted it myself.

330ml (13 floz.) water. (blood heat )
1 x 15 ml sp (1 tbsp) vegetable oil
175g (7 oz.) Juvela Gluten free flour
175g (7 oz ) Juvela Gluten free fibre mix flour
Pinch salt (optional)
1 x 5ml sp (1. tsp) Easy blend dried yeast (Measured from sachet supplied with mix)
1 x 15 ml (1 tsp.) Xanthan Gum

Method.
Place water and oil in bread pan. Add Gluten Free flour,Xanthan Gum and salt and sprinkle in the yeast.
Select basic programme.
Once the paddle starts to mix, incorporate any dry ingredients from the side of the pan with a plastic spatula.
Allow to cool slightly before removing loaf from the pan.

Makes aprox. 750g. (1. 1/2 lb) loaf.
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

Are you able to tolerate spelt or barley? Apparently some gluten-intolerants can eat these two because of some protein difference. If so, I'll dig out a recipe or two.
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

http://glutenfreeeasily.com/bountiful-b ... d-recipes/

I was looking for one of the recipes for spelt bread and found the site above - very professional looking bread but some ingredients might be hard to find.

I also used to make corn bread using meal (Indian grocers have it), bicarb and yogurt/milk mix. I can't remember the recipe but Tintertubes would have one, I'm sure. Quite solid and filling and nice,and can be used for sandwiches, but probably not the same.
chookmike
Longlasting Laner

Post by chookmike »

Thank you very much - just going on to research this.

Much appreciated

x
KarenE
Legendary Laner

Post by KarenE »

The Great British Bake Off was doing an alternative ingredients episode this week which is basically gluten and dairy free - there is a recipe for gluten free pitta bread on the site, and others for cakes and such

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/programmes/b0698ghb

Here's another recipe but there's loads about. I think even Paul Hollywood has some in his books

http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/glute ... _oil_42050

If you're looking for a bought loaf, a quick google shows that ocado and asda both do a line of gluten free loaves called Genius. In fact ocado seems to have a lot so might be worth a visit to a waitrose if there's one near you.
Karen
Alpha chick to: Smudge, Matisse and Bluebell
Chief servant to Marley the cat
Remembering Weeps, Rexie, Sage, Cassie, Toffee, Captain Gabby, Commander Nugget, Ronnie, Juno, Special Poetry and Reading Casper, Tigger, Tophenanall Rembrandt, Chestnut, Tiddly, Willow, Mango, Coco, Dorian Grey and Pokey.
Also my lost furries Charlie and Jasper
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

Mike - how did you get on with this? Quite interested to know as I'd like to try some too.
chookmike
Longlasting Laner

Post by chookmike »

Sorry for the slow reply Freeranger.

I confess that work has been bonkers for weeks now and I really just haven't had time. There is no sign of it easing off either and I could do with a bit of R&R but the bills are getting paid so shouldn't complain.

I hope everyone is well.

Cheers

Mike