Pasta-free lasagne

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
Babycakes
Legendary Laner

Pasta-free lasagne

Post by Babycakes »

My mum invented this last night, Her and my dad are doing this hunter-gatherer diet thing (dont ask cuz I dont know LoL) anyways they now dont "do" pasta, bread, flour and the like so this is the result:
Cook mince as you normally would for a lasagne. Put in a layer of mince, then a layer of very thinly sliced turnip. Then put a layer of large spinach leaves. Next layer is grated cheese mixed with finely chopped fresh basil. Start again fromt he mince layer, then spinach, then cheese and basil. bake in the oven like a normal lasagne, but keep an eye on it as it doesnt take as long. Serve with fresh salad.
I was duboius but it was lovely!! Gonna try it myself - was thinking sweet potato wouls be nice instead of turnip, but I dont know if they are "unfriendly" carbs according to the hunter-gatherer diet!!
Also, as this is pasta and flour free, would it me ok for a gluten-free diet?
Waiting to welcome Sunny Clucker to Northern Ireland!
Effie
Legendary Laner

Post by Effie »

Not tried that one but I do have a wheat free version of crispy duck pancakes. Use large lettuce leaves instead of the little pancakes, also works for fajitas.

My mum is often on wierd diets but a Friday night can still feel like Friday night )eat( with comfort food like this!
" -zere isn't much to do 'ere, unless you like cooking and chickens!"
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

OOO Babycakes I like the sound of that one, I have got some turnips growing in my garden so might use them in that recipe )t'
Chicken on the Hill
Longlasting Laner

Post by Chicken on the Hill »

Sounds nice,would probably use spuds as I hate turnip!(great raw,though). Obviously spuds werent around for British hunters and gatherers,but turnips may have been,as FHW had wild ones this week!(or was it parsnip?) My parents do sweet potato,but I have never tried it, the name puts me off. I reckon you could use veg instead of mince and it would taste great too.