Tomato Chutney

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Tomato Chutney

Post by kate egg »

I have never made chutney before )c+ , never grown tommies before either. Had quite a few ripe toms that I knew I'd never get around to using so decided to have a go at the chutney. When I tipped it into the jars I was not too impressed with it, it seemed sickly sweet. Now 2 or 3 weeks later I have just tried it with a little cheese - and its yum )eat( its got a kind of sweet and sour taste with a bit of a kick from the spices. So from feeling a bit disappointed and that I had wasted my time, and my toms, I am well chuffed cos its really nice )t'
chickenchaser
Legendary Laner

Post by chickenchaser »

Well done Kate )t'

I'm going to try some preserves next year if I can get anything to grow on my new allotment so the more expertise on here, the better (f+
Jackie xx
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

I've never grown anything in the garden till this year, had a good crop of spuds, loads of peas, runner beans, some carrots, cabbages that ended up feeding the chooks cos the caterpillars got to them, I have brussel sprouts coming on but not sure if they've survived the caterpillars, still the chooks would like those too. I have some turnips in that should be ready soon, and some more carrots plus carrots and spuds in patio pots which may or may not come to anything :-D

Its very rewarding, and the stuff you grow really does taste better than the stuff you buy.

Good luck with your allotment next year, I'm sure you will enjoy it (and get the rewards from it too) )t'
essentialequine
Lively Laner

Post by essentialequine »

kate make sure and try the sprout tops they are lovley, thats the only reason I let the MIL grow sprouts :-D just boil or steam them like cabbage.

MIL is fairly close to you I think, she is in Geddling.
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

Gedling is about 3 miles as the crow flies but about 6 miles by road due to the presence of the river Trent! We can see it but it makes us a lot further apart!

Sprout tops - not sure I have ever tried them - do you harvest them when the sprouts are ready or before???
essentialequine
Lively Laner

Post by essentialequine »

thought you couldnt be to far from them, not down at them very often as we have so many animals here, tends to be the OH and our daughter.

Sprout Tops, you can take them before the sprouts are ready, look for them starting to open a bit like a cabage does and then just cook them and eat and enjoy, honest they are lovley, not overly fond of sprouts but the tops dont taste anything like the sprouts do.
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

Thanks for the tip, I adore sprouts, my fave, so i'm sure I will love the sprout tops too as long as the caterpillars didn't eat them all :?

Next year I am going to put mesh around my brassicas ( :oops: that sounds a bit rude but you know what I mean :-D )
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

OH bought a kids fishing net while we were at the Whitby. His theory is he doesn't need to squish the caterpillars, he'll catch the butterflies next year :!: :?
Our greens were skeletons after our week away, but have recovered a bit, so we may get some tiny sprouts for Christmas dinner.
kate egg
Legendary Laner

Post by kate egg »

We went to Whitby this year too, I love it there.

My cabbages and sprouts were really got at despite Deris powder application so definitely going to make some sort of mesh framework for next year.

The chooks didn't object to cabbages complete with caterpillars - meat and veg at the same time )t'