apple and bramble jam

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

apple and bramble jam

Post by bmpsands »

OK - my freezer is almost full with the results from our veggie patch and fruit bushes. Storing apples wasn't that successful last year so I've mostly stewed them down and frozen. A friend has recommended making jam and I have a recipe for apple and bramble jam. All the brambles are in the freezer!

Can I defrost brambles, drain and use them in jam?

Thanks in advance.
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Re: apple and bramble jam

Post by albertajune »

I would think that you should be able use them from frozen. If you defrost first you will probably lose lots of their natural juice.
Just cook slowly at first until they are defrosted, which won't take long, then add the sugar and apples and whatever your particular recipe asks for and make as for jam normally. Good luck )t'
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
HedgeHugger
Legendary Laner

Post by HedgeHugger »

Or you could let them defrost, but use all the juicy water that gets released along with the fruit. No need to drain.
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Post by KathJ »

I don't know about brambles but I made some jam with frozen blackcurrants and that worked out fine! I just put them in the pan frozen on a very low heat until they were all defrosted.
Kath xx

Mum to my beautiful girls Lucy, Holly, Rosie, Hettie, Polly, Ruby, Lily, Penny, Gracie, Maisie, Molly, Evie and my gorgeous boy Toby

RIP my beautiful Ranger, Roxy, Bluebelle, Poppy, Speckle, Daisy and Honey xxxx
bmpsands
Legendary Laner

Post by bmpsands »

Thanks for the replies. I'll give it a go I think.
Bea; 19 hens (most of whom I intended to get); 6 bantams (which I never intended to have); old Benji dog and young Toby dog (who I definitely wanted). Three years into country living and loving it.