Sugar Tax?

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
saint-spoon

Sugar Tax?

Post by saint-spoon »

There has been quite a bit in the news about the so called sugar tax that health professionals have been asking for. Firstly it would obviously be better for us as a nation if we consumed less sugar, this I believe is especially important for our children as they are the future and childhood obesity is on the up and so on. But is taxing sugary drinks the answer in the UK? I agree that we should end food adverts targeted at children, that is just sensible. There is a bit of a food education happening in my eldest daughter’s school, good sugar/bad sugar and fatty foods not being good for you which is good but shouldn’t parents be providing this information for their children? As for the tax, Denmark tried it, they added loads of tax to sugary drinks with two results, an increase in tax revenue and an increase in people driving over the boarder to Germany to buy sugary drinks in bulk. They scrapped the tax after less than a year.
Bah Humbug
Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: Sugar Tax?

Post by Mo »

I wondered too.

It would also lead to a rise in other sweeteners, then x years on they would find some fault in them too.

Things are always more complicated than politicians / journalists (headline writers specially) want to admit.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Yes, on the surface it sounds some sort of plan, but I think the people who buy them now would continue to do so, and it wouldn't really address the problem :? I agree it is down to parents to provide a healthy diet and educated their children about food, and this should only have to be supported by schools, rather than being left with the whole issue. }hairout{

I saw a programme on it last night, and they were saying it was hidden sugar in foods and drinks that was a huge problem too. Let's face it, if you buy a cake, then you know you are getting excess sugar and probably fat, but a flavoured water in a modern, healthy looking bottle? That contained more than a child's recommended intake for a whole day }hairout{
Of course the same goes for salt - I must avoid salt, and it is absolutely amazing how much salt is hidden away in processed foods (and even prawns!)

I eat far too much sugar, and recently salt and fat too, which perhaps I will address soon. :oops:
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
kitla
Legendary Laner

Post by kitla »

I don't want my family consuming any more artificial sweeteners than they do
already, I already struggle to find orange squash that isnt sugar-free now. That is
my choice, we are not overweight, we look after our teeth, we eat fruit & veg.
I worry that rather than remove sugar from many products it will be replaced by
aspartame or similar artificials. If foods like sausages, ready made sauces - even
some crisps stopped adding sugar/sweeteners I think many people wouldnt be so
addicted to sweetness from early in life. I think it would be better to give incentives
to provide and advertise low/no sugar, easy to make products rather than just
clobber the sugar with tax. If people still crave the sweetness in food children will
end up consuming an awful lot of artificial sweetners instead. I dont think that's an
improvement personally!
"He who is cruel to animals becomes hard also in his dealings with men. We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals."
--Immanuel Kant
perchy

Post by perchy »

It always winds me up when I go to the local Morris and sons they have 6 jam/apple/custard doughnuts for 47p placed next to a punnet of strawberries at £2, always just as you are going into the store??
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

There is also controversy over the use of artificial sweeteners being used instead of sugar, especially in drinks.
If you buy cakes, biscuits etc, you know they contain lots of sugar. Soft drinks contain too much sugar. Perhaps it would help if mums only let their children have them as a treat. I know people who have a drawer set aside for 'goodies' which their children have on a regular basis rather than a treat. It is easy to blame the manufacturers for children having too much sugar, but where is the responsibility of the parent? Look at the packet to see how much sugar, fat or salt is in there. If too much then don't buy!

I have written about children but the same goes for adults. If you have a sweet tooth, then everything in moderation or the side effects of too much sugar is self inflicted.

It does seem to me that someone else is always to blame for whatever is wrong. Saying that, I think that manufacturers do make some foods too sweet or sweet where not needed. Like lots of things people get used to it and don't see it as too sweet. I honestly don't think a tax will make any difference. If someone wants something, they will pay a little more for it.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

That has apparently been the case in Denmark, folk simply paid the higher price or went across the border to Germany to bulk buy. On the plus side it will raise loads more tax revenue which we could perhaps put towards the cost of treating the effects of high sugar intake.
Bah Humbug