Turkey eggs

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
nicklincs
Lively Laner

Turkey eggs

Post by nicklincs »

I picked up two turkey hens yesterday, and today one of them has laid an egg. I wondered if anyone has eaten turkey eggs before ?
Mo
Legendary Laner

Re: Turkey eggs

Post by Mo »

My neighbour worked in a turkey farm and brought home those that were not suitable to incubate.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
sandy
Legendary Laner

Post by sandy »

Do you know I have never heard of turkey eggs! I wonder why they are never sold >coc<
The Pink Ladies..Audrey,Ingrid-Bergman,Madeleline,Norma-Jean,Dora,Janice,Jo,Robyn,Chrissy and Joyce
The Peds…Mork,Mindy,Bell,Saphire &
Vorky ,Blueped,Ginger,Ninger &Linky

Sunny Clucker was ere July 12-21 2012
Sunny Clucker was ere July 6 2016 to Sept 9th 2017
Sunny Clucker is here , rehomed Aug 18th 2018/
manda

Post by manda »

Not eaten them ...we got some Turkeys at the beginning of the year (but as we're heading into winter they won't be laying soon because they were too young and ...now it'll be winter)...not to say I wouldn't eat them though.

Sandy I can imagine one of the main reasons people don't eat them is Turkeys don't lay that many eggs a year (probably about a third less than chickens) so any eggs are used to make more turkeys.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

There was a turkey farm on tv - country file - the other day. Made me laugh as there was only fresh hay all over the barn, not a poo in sight and she went 'oh look' and pointed to a nest of about 25 absolutely sparkling clean eggs, all neatly arranged! I thought 'My chicken coop looks like that' {rofwl}
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
nicklincs
Lively Laner

Post by nicklincs »

Manda, the lady who sold me them said just that. The eggs are only used to hatch as turkeys don't lay many eggs. I might be brave and try one, someone told me they have had curried turkey eggs.
manda

Post by manda »

I would imagine they're a bit bigger than chicken and a bit smaller than goose but taste more like goose - those bigger eggs are always more creamy I think.I've got 2 Jenny's so I'm hopefully going to get to taste them come the spring here (so maybe around September)...be interested to see what you think of them.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
manda

Post by manda »

This is ours - this was taken last month so they're 4 weeks older now...I love my chickens but I have to say the Turkeys have a much more obvious vocal range - add that to the changing head colour when they're showing off (one of the males goes a really vivid blue!) makes them really interesting.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

nicklincs
Lively Laner

Post by nicklincs »

Well the total turkey egg count is still one. Its a tiny bit bigger than a chicken egg, i was surprised how small it was considering how big the turkey is. I will try and put a pic on here of it. Will let you know what it tastes like once i've plucked up the courage to eat it.
manda

Post by manda »

All the info says about one and a half times a chookie egg...which I agree when you look at the size of them next to a chook makes you feel a bit robbed )grin2(

I'm going to start carrying my camera with me one of the Tom's was jumping around this morning all puffed up with a bright blue head...thinking he's all that...silly bird....mind you as I said makes them really interesting.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda