Halogen ovens

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Halogen ovens

Post by albertajune »

Does anyone on the forum cook with a halogen oven? My sister has asked me if I would like hers as she has never really used it. Unfortunately she has lost the instruction book but I think I can find out the basics from the web. It does look interesting and apparently much cheaper to use than the normal electric oven.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
p.penn

Re: Halogen ovens

Post by p.penn »

I haven't but I think it would be useful for you June. If you look on the web, the instructions should be available- either on the manufacturer's website or one that just has appliance instructions.

Hope you are keeping ok {hug}
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

I haven't ever used one so can't tell you anything helpful, but if you aren't able to find them online and want to let me know what make and model it is, I'll happily have a look for you.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

There are cook books on cooking with halogen ovens. Putting it very simply, an halogen oven is just a light bulb and a timer LOL - the glass bowl keeps the warmth and humidity in and helps with the cooking.

I bought one and was fascinated but unfortunately it is such a big thing with the bowl and the fitting on top that there is no room in my small kitchen (there are wall cupboards in the way and I have very little free work top as it is) so it ended up on top of the cooker, and then having to be put away when done - it just got too much effort to bring it out when needed. Hence, I hardly used mine. Having saying that, a friend of mine only ever cooks with one and she loves it - she said it made the best oven chips (I never tried so can't vouch for that).

The roast chicken I did was beautifully moist with a crispy brown skin - if that was all I used it for, then worth it. However, the pork roast just took too long for my liking. I can't say it cooked the chicken that much quicker than conventional but perhaps the wattage of the halogen bulb is so much lower than heating elements in an ordinary oven, then yes, it probably does work out cheaper to run.
issy
Lively Laner

Post by issy »

Hi, my mum swears by hers. She hasn't used her oven in the last 2 yesrs since she got the halogen. I used one for the first time this Summer while on holiday in my caravan and so impressed, really easy to use and so fast, no heating up time and very economical to use. Loads of online recipes. Bet you will use it a lot. )like(
Enthusiastic veg grower. Trying to be more frugal. Family:Much loved husband, son, 2 dogs, 1 cat and 8 ex batts soon to arrive.
RIP Dumpling,Boss,Plum, Pudding,Hoppy,Betty,Custard and Gerty our ex battys