Curing meat

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
Trev62
Legendary Laner

Curing meat

Post by Trev62 »

Tonight for dinner we have just eaten our own home cured pork, it was our first attempt and certainly will not be our last. I had never heard of pink salt before (I have led a sheltered life!) but from now a box will be kept in the cupboard for future use.

Easy to do and enjoyable to eat.

Anyone else tried this?
"Not all those who wander are lost"
GoldBerry
Learner Laner

Re: Curing meat

Post by GoldBerry »

Forgive the late post, but I do a lot of curing meat; bacon, ham hock, smoked chicken, and pork shoulder for pulled pork, so I do a variation of brining, smoking, BBQing etc. I want to try doing some cold-smoking in the future but I need a bit of a different set up. It's really tasty stuff, provided one can find a reputable butcher. I'm spoiled where I live at the moment, but I'll need to find a new supplier when I move.
manda

Post by manda »

How did I miss this Trevor yike*

We do a lot of our own cured meats ...from cured hams (both brined and air cured like Proscuitto style...which I have to say was scarey initially) to bacon which is so easy. We used to raise our own pigs which we did for about 6 years - we stopped a couple of years ago as our neighbour still breeds them and it's less commitment on a daily basis. So we did a lot of things using pork.

We also cold smoke and hot smoke - like Salmon and cheese and hot smoke home made Pastrami.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Trev62
Legendary Laner

Post by Trev62 »

manda wrote: ........ and air cured like Proscuitto style....

When asking our neighbour if he could show us how to skin rabbits (not our pet one!) we noticed he had chunks of meat hanging on hooks, it turns out these were turkey cuts that he was "air curing", we could not quite grasp (the Bulgarian village dialect is harder to understand than the language spoke in the towns/cities) the method he had used but it tasted lovely.
"Not all those who wander are lost"
manda

Post by manda »

Now that's an interesting thought.....we have an ever increasing turkey population )c+
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny