Bacon and Sweetcorn Pie £1

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
aman
Learner Laner

Bacon and Sweetcorn Pie £1

Post by aman »

Hi All
I love cooking and I love finding new recipes especially frugal ones.

Last night we had Bacon and Sweetcorn Pie which I found on Thrifty Lesley's Blog

It was really easy to make and tastes delicious. I doubled the measurements so we both had dinner last night and lunch today. Served with mash, carrots and broccoli the whole 4 portions came to less than a £1

I think will become a staple

Paul
mrs boodles
Legendary Laner

Re: Bacon and Sweetcorn Pie £1

Post by mrs boodles »

Just looked that up, sounds very economical and tasty, will be part of my menu plan for next week. Thanks for recommendation.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

... maybe it's me LOL, but in the photo it looks like it is begging for a sauce or gravy :oops:
aman
Learner Laner

Post by aman »

It is quite a moist pie but you could easily make a white sauce or gravy to go with this. Just another pan to wash up

Paul
aman
Learner Laner

Post by aman »

This pie and variations of it have indeed become a regular meal for us.

Not only is it cheap but it is also very quick to make and you can add what ever you like as a filling.

Last night I fried onion, bacon and tiny cubes of potato until browned and put this in the pie case then made four small wells in the mixture and broke an egg in each, put pastry on top and baked.

It turned out fantastic and was a nice surprise for my wife when she came in. She never knows what is going to be in the pies next.

The other great thing about this is the pastry. Pastry has always been too much faff for me in the past but this 'oil pastry' is so easy and quick I don't even bother making it in bulk for the week any more and just make it as I need it. It only takes a couple of minutes to make and roll out.

I put the scraps of pastry in the fridge and use it as dumplings when I do stew.

Paul
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

I am interested in this pastry as it looks nice and light. I haven't yet planned
My meal for this evening so will try it out. Looks good)t'
I am now a widow and live with my memories.