It's warm here in Gujarat, India.

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
fabindia
Legendary Laner

It's warm here in Gujarat, India.

Post by fabindia »

I threw away our sourdough starter before we went for a couple of weeks hliday with family in Thailand. I started a new one on Friday night and this is how it looks this morning.

No added yeasts. Just flour and water and I added a small bit of bannana skin It's gone mental fermenting. Mind it it is very warm here :-D

Michael
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Re: It's warm here in Gujarat, India.

Post by albertajune »

For some reason I cannot keep the starter going. Interested to know what the banana skin does. I love sourdough bread and am determined to master it.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Re: It's warm here in Gujarat, India.

Post by fabindia »

albertajune wrote:Interested to know what the banana skin does. I love sourdough bread and am determined to master it.

There's nothing magical about the bannana, it just that I didn't have any grapes :-D In fact almost all fruits have natural yeasts on them, apples being a good example. In the old days, they didn't have commercial yeasts like they do today and the apples were just crushed and pressed and the juice fermented naturally to make cider.

I have couple of problems here making tasty sourdough bread. First, we can't get really good bread flour and second our oven is rubbish. But still, I can bake a half decent loaf on occasions.
Michael