It's mango season her in India

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
fabindia
Legendary Laner

It's mango season her in India

Post by fabindia »

Here in India, many food items are much more seasonal than in the West. A few months ago now, we had people selling strawberries at the side of the road but that only last a few weeks and the strawberries disappeared. But now it is the season of the king of Indian fruits, the deliciously sweet, delicately perfumed, mango. Apparently, the mango is the national fruit of India and judging by the zealous popularity of this fruit, so it should be. And at this time of year, mangoes are to be bought everywhere. Vendors set up stalls and sell them at the roadside and the local markets and supermarkets are full of them.

Making mango pulp is a very simple but somewhat messy process. You take the ripe mango, use your fingers to pulp the flesh inside the skin, or roll it on the kitchen bench, until the flesh inside feels soft and pulp-like, then squeeze the mango so that the juice and stone are ejected into a jug. Mango stones are very big, so you take the stone out and scrap as much flesh off as you can. We then blitz the extracted flesh and juice in a blender so that we end up with thick, gloopy mango pulp.

People here will eat mango pulp with chapatis, alongside the main curry dish at meal time. You can also use mango pulp in milkshakes, pour over ice cream, or our favourite, eaten with fruit-filled sweet pancakes, smothered with cream and homemade yogurt; something of a diabetic’s nightmare I suspect but nonetheless moreishly good.

Michael
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Re: It's mango season her in India

Post by albertajune »

Lucky you Michael!! My favourite home made chutney is mango but so expensive here. I wait until they are on special to buy and then have to wait ages for them to ripen. The mango seller in your pic looks as if his fruit are perfect and I bet taste so good.
Love the food pics and so interesting. )c+
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
lancashire lass
Legendary Laner

Post by lancashire lass »

)like( what lovely bright colours, great photos .... good enough for a book! I don't think I need ask if you enjoyed the pancakes
fabindia
Legendary Laner

Post by fabindia »

albertajune wrote:My favourite home made chutney is mango but so expensive here

Hi June - you can see by the picture of the supermarket, here the price of mangoes range from about the equivalent of 50p per kilo to about £1.30 a kilo for the best Alphonso mangoes. So not bad really.

Any chance you could post your mango chutney recipe here? If you can I'll certainly give it a go and let you see the results.
Michael
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Post by albertajune »

MANGO CHUTNEY

900gm/2lb mangoes, halved peeled, stoned and sliced into chunks
1/2 tsp salt
225/8oz cooking apples peeled, cored and chopped rougly
200gms/7oz Demerara sugar
300ml/1/4pt distilled malt vinegar
1 onion chopped
1 garlic clove crushed
10ml/2tsp ground ginger

(I add a chopped deseeded chilli)

Prepare mango first, put into a non metallic bnowt and sprinkle with salt. Set aside while preparing the apples

Put vinegar and sugar in a preserving pan and heat gently, stirring occasionally until sugar has dissolved completely

Add mangoes, apples and other ingredients and slowly bring to boil

Reduce heat and simmer gently for about an hour , stirring frequently until reduced to a thick consistency and no excess liquid remains.

Spoon into sterilised jars and leave 2 weeks to mature.

Keeps for 1yr unopened. Once opened keep in the fridge and use within 3mths.

This is the basic recipe. Ginger, garlic and chilli can be altered to suit your taste.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.