Wine making

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
Trev62
Legendary Laner

Wine making

Post by Trev62 »

Is anyone out there in possession of a good rhubarb wine recipe??

If you are, could you pass it on? If it is Grandma's secret recipe, PM it to me and I promise not to tell your Grandma that you have shared a family treasure :-D

Thanks
"Not all those who wander are lost"
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Re: Wine making

Post by Freeranger »

2.7kg rhubarb - cut off leaves and first 2.5cm from top & bottom
1 orange
1.35kg white sugar
4.5l water
All purpose yeast & nutrient
Campden tablets
Optional - 225g chopped sultanas/currants

Make sure to cut off ends to avoid oxalic acid taint. Wipe rhubabrb & orange to remove any moulds etc - the recipe says with solution of 1/2 campden tablet + pinch citric acid in cup cold water. Sterilise everything.
Crush, chop or mince rhubarb & add thinly chopped orange rind (no pith) & currants if using
Juice orange
Add 1/3 of sugar + juice+ water + yeast. Ferment for about 5 days, stiring 2ce daily.
Strain & press out fruit, then stir in remaining sugar and transfer liquid to jar with airlock.
Keep at steady temp close to underside of 62F/17C
When fermentation is finished, leave to stand somewhere cold for a few days, then transfer to sterile bottles.(our author uses crushed campden tab in each bottle) - sediment should settle, wine clear.
Keep for 1 year ( should have said that bit first!)

The optional fruit is for body and 'vinosity' - personally found it a bit scenty-tasting. Maybe add half?
Trev62
Legendary Laner

Post by Trev62 »

Many thanks )like(
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

Yes, tried, tested and easy peasy.

3lb rhubarb
3lb sugar
I gallon water
Wine yeast and yeast nutrient

Chop rhubarb or thinly slice and put in large non metallic bowl. Cover the fruit with dry sugar and leave until most of the sugar has dissolved (24 hours plus), then strain off. Add some water to the fruit pulp , stir, and strain. Repeat with more water until all sugar in in liquid Make up to one gallon with water, then add the yeast and nutrient.

Ferment out, rack as usual.
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
Trev62
Legendary Laner

Post by Trev62 »

Thanks Helen I will be experimenting with the rhubarb in the very near future :-D
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

I would make it sooner rather than later as apparently it can go jelly like with later rhubarb. )t'
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com