Do you spiralize?

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Do you spiralize?

Post by Meanqueen »

Has anyone got a spiralizer? I bought one but was very disappointed with it and took it back for a refund. It had a handle which you turned to rotate the piece of veg and push it forward towards the blade. The spirals were flimsy and fell apart, and a thick centre core came out the other side. So what do you do with the core? I want the whole veg spiralized, not just the outside. The plastic was flimsy and I could see it breaking eventually.

Someone told me they have something like a large pencil sharpener which is brilliant. I will look for one of those. I want spirals from the whole piece of veg, leaving no waste.

My plan is to steam the spirals and because they are so much thinner than chopped up with a knife vegetables, it should shorten the cooking time. I think most people use spirals in salads and stir fries, but that leaves them too crunchy for me. I want them slightly softened in the steamer.

Ilona
albertajune
Legendary Laner

Re: Do you spiralize?

Post by albertajune »

I don't have one. Too many unused gadgets already but the veg always looks nice.
I am now a widow and live with my memories.
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

I have to admit with a very red face, MQ that I have one and have never used it. Not sure even where it is now.
HedgeHugger
Legendary Laner

Post by HedgeHugger »

I don't have one, no desire either, see it as a bit faddy, really.
I did notice, however, that L!dl are selling one next week. The quality of L!dl electricals is usually ok, and the price isn't bad.
p.penn

Post by p.penn »

My son bought me one for my birthday, but I have only used it once so far. It was very good and made courgetti which I had with bolognaise sauce. I microwaved it In a bowl with a teeny bit of olive oil and garlic, although you could just use water
Helen xx

3 children, 3 grandchildren, 3 chooks, 3 fish, a shrimp that thinks its a prawn and a dappy dog.
http://www.acountrygrandma.blogspot.com
wildlifemad
Lively Laner

Post by wildlifemad »

Hi MQ. I bought one of those "pencil sharpener" ones 3 weeks ago from Tesco for £3 (that was the proper price not an offer!) so not a lot of money if it doesn't get used very often! I did courgette to go raw in a salad, I had never had raw courgette but it was lovely. You are left with a small end of veg when you've spiralled it but you chop that so you don't waste any. Hope that helps!
Meanqueen
Legendary Laner

Post by Meanqueen »

I had to laugh, one of my blogger friends is going to sell her machine at a car boot sale. A few people have mentioned the pencil sharpener type, and that seems to be the best way to do it. I will look for one of those.

Ilona
manda

Post by manda »

I've got a Spirooli which is I think like the one you have MQ.
Yes it leaves a core but I just either chop it up and include it in whatever I'm doing or I have a bag and I chuck the cores in the freezer and when I've got a few they get used in soups or casseroles or stews ...things like that.
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
KathJ
Longlasting Laner

Post by KathJ »

I'm afraid I'm with Gwenoakes :oops: I bought one all in a rush from a well known online retailer after seeing someone doing it on TV and it's never even come out of the box yet. It just seems like too much trouble to get it out and set it up. I am ashamed of myself because I'm not normally one for 'gadgets and gimmicks'!!
Kath xx

Mum to my beautiful girls Lucy, Holly, Rosie, Hettie, Polly, Ruby, Lily, Penny, Gracie, Maisie, Molly, Evie and my gorgeous boy Toby

RIP my beautiful Ranger, Roxy, Bluebelle, Poppy, Speckle, Daisy and Honey xxxx
heleng57
Learner Laner

Post by heleng57 »

I have one. It was on offer in B&M for £9.99 and my son got an extra 10% staff discount. Cheap as it was it's only been used twice and sits in the back of the cupboard. Quite honestly I prefer proper pasta with the veg in a sauce on top.