Cheap tasty dinner

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
saint-spoon

Post by saint-spoon »

Years ago when I lived on my own I discovered that cooking for myself was healthier and a lot cheaper than take away food or ready meals. I wasn’t sure so I went out and invested in a cookery book (I have got hundreds now) and went on a world of discovery that put tasty meals on the table at a reasonable price.
Take for instance a chicken a sweet corn soup, from my local take away it costs £2.70 for a cup full (I know this because I have one of their menus as a book mark (top frugality there by the way)). Without the benefit of fresh stock or stock made from the remains of the Sunday roast it’s so easy to do on the cheap.
Fry about a half chicken breast until brown and cooked.
Make up a single free range stock cube in a pan (or veg stock works well), whisk in a beaten eggs and add half a can of sweet corn (drained) and the fried chicken. A splash of toasted sesame oil adds flavour and season as required with soy sauce.
Use prawns or quorn instead of chicken if required.

I always s add garlic by the way but that’s just my taste.
Bah Humbug
essentialequine
Lively Laner

Post by essentialequine »

saint-spoon wrote:Years ago when I lived on my own I discovered that cooking for myself was healthier and a lot cheaper than take away food or ready meals. I wasn’t sure so I went out and invested in a cookery book (I have got hundreds now) and went on a world of discovery that put tasty meals on the table at a reasonable price.
Take for instance a chicken a sweet corn soup, from my local take away it costs £2.70 for a cup full (I know this because I have one of their menus as a book mark (top frugality there by the way)). Without the benefit of fresh stock or stock made from the remains of the Sunday roast it’s so easy to do on the cheap.
Fry about a half chicken breast until brown and cooked.
Make up a single free range stock cube in a pan (or veg stock works well), whisk in a beaten eggs and add half a can of sweet corn (drained) and the fried chicken. A splash of toasted sesame oil adds flavour and season as required with soy sauce.
Use prawns or quorn instead of chicken if required.

I always s add garlic by the way but that’s just my taste.

ohh that does sound simple, I never buy soup from the takeaway cause of the price. Will give that a try.