Remembering School Dinners !!

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
Mad Chick

Re: Remembering School Dinners !!

Post by Mad Chick »

I remember the mashed potato - served with an ice cream scoop, it was dry and lumpy with a green tinge to it )loo( My friend and I always used to try to sit at the tables by the window so we could surreptitiously throw it out.

I loved the puddings, semolina, rice pudding, prunes... My favourites were the chocolate marble pudding with chocolate custard and the strawberry shortcake with pink custard. I still love anything with custard :-D
Lucy x

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk. That will teach you to keep your mouth shut - Ernest Hemingway
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Honestly, you are a rebel Lucy )eat( )eat(

Lunch hours were always good, especially if there was a fight :-D :-D

Richard
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
manda

Post by manda »

Mad Chick wrote:I remember the mashed potato - served with an ice cream scoop, it was dry and lumpy with a green tinge to it )loo( .....

I had forgotten about the ice cream scoop!! Those metal ones !
¸.•´¸.•*´¨) ¸.•*¨)✰
(¸.✰´¨(¸.✰ Manda

Living our version of the Good Life with 4 dogs, 6 cats, a cow, a few sheep, Angora Goats and ???? chooks.
Don't get your knickers in a knot..it solves nothing ~ just makes you walk funny
Linda S
Legendary Laner

Post by Linda S »

I rember the awfull semolina it was sick inducing yuk and the other one we called frogspawn, )loo( .

I was a dinner lady )c+ working in the kitchens for quite a long time and, and when I started everything was made from scratch and chips might have been on once or twice a month at our school.
All the veg was prepared in house the only mechanical item we had was a rumbler it was rough round the inside and did the spuds and we just picked the eyes out

The last time I was working in the kitchens every meat item came from a certain norfolk man's birds, what veg they had came ready peeled and chopped ready to cook
Our cook in charge trained for a long time to get where she was and had pride in the meals she preppared for the kids .
I can remember her once saying that she didn't train and go to college to open boxes, packets and jars

I remember when carrot cake had to change its name to farmhouse bake because the kids wouldn't eat it.
Aye those where the days when the kids had good tasty grub and most of them loved it )eat(
Lindaxx
Last edited by Linda S on 18 Jan 2018, 17:35, edited 1 time in total.
And then there was one, Again!!!!
Jemima
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Little Angels Free For Ever
Honey,Lizzi,Peggy-Mitchel,April,Hope,Faith,Blondie, Sorrel,Scarlet, Penny, Gabby, Rosie, Chick-a-Dee
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Remembering Our Beautiful Foster Boys we are so sorry that we couldn't keep you
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Richard
Lord Lane of Down...... Site Owner

Post by Richard »

Nice story Linda.

All this pre-prepared food is scary and what a shame that someone trains, then just gets the job of heating things up.

As we so often say when kids groan and moan today..

"Whem I was a kid" and "We're still hear to prove it".

Richard )t' )t'
New Member? Get more from the Forum and join in 'Members Chat' - you're very welcome
jemberelli
Legendary Laner

Post by jemberelli »

At my junior school (1970s) we had ice cream that was made with powder and if they got the measurements wrong the ice cream was gritty sile}

I really dislike currants, raisins & sultanas and one day at junior school the pudding was 'fly pie' and custard. Mr Sherris wouldn't let me leave the table until I had eaten it so I scraped the pastry & ate that (could still taste the flies though!) and I packed the filling round my teeth/gums and when he let me go I had to run & spit it down the toilet! I told my mum this story at Christmas just gone and she said "Oh, wait till the next time I see him!" - he is a member of the same golf club yike*
No girls at the moment but look forward to getting more in the future. Proud mummy to Hector, a Bedlington Terrier x Jack Russell
Freeranger
Legendary Laner

Post by Freeranger »

I wonder if we all needed the puddings, or could have had the money spent on nicer mains? My memory of dinners was great at primary school where they had proper kitchens, and then in the new school for juniors everything was badly cooked and then heated up just to make it worse. You could have built retaining walls with that mashed potato - and it was the same colour! Has |anyone| eaten liver since schooldays?