More memories...The Larder (Pantry)

Recipes, Cooking tips and maybe some 'Home Made' secrets !
saint-spoon

Re: More memories...The Larder (Pantry)

Post by saint-spoon »

My Parent’s house, built in the mid 60s has a Larder, funnily my Mum who comes from Kent calls it a larder whereas my Dad (from Hampshire) refers to it as a pantry; must be a posh Kentish thing (or is that a thing of Kent?)
I remember as a child, my Mum walking us (Sister in a pram) to the local shops for victuals such as meat, milk was delivered and the fruit and veg man used to turn up once or twice a week. I don’t recall bread being delivered.
Bah Humbug
Mo
Legendary Laner

Post by Mo »

I can't remember what we called ours except the 'kitchen cupboard'. Didn't go in the kitchen much before we moved when I was 11 - before that we were in Grandma's house so it was her kitchen.

The only thing I remember was a metal container for flour, shaped like a funnel in a cupboard. I assume that when the houses were new and Grandma moved in (sometime around 1920) they used to buy flour in bulk.

In the house we moved to in the 50's there was a cupboard, by the back door like MQ. Can't remember if it was ventilated or not - wouldn't have noticed. The person we brought the house from left us his 'KeepKool' - not a fridge, you poured water into a hole at the top. Can't remember when my parents got a fridge, but they didn't get a telly till I'd left home in the late 60s. My dad prioritised paying off the mortgage early.

Our road had a few shops, probably a butcher, grocer (called Chattertons, and when my mum got a part time job there she thought it was an apt name as you had to chat to everyone), and a post-office/newsagent. But I remember carrying heavy bags from the greengrocer and the co-op at Sudbury Hill, a 15 mins walk away.
Dance caller. http://mo-dance-caller.blogspot.co.uk/p/what-i-do.html
Sunny Clucker enjoyed Folk music and song in mid-Cheshire
Gwenoakes
Legendary Laner

Post by Gwenoakes »

My Gran had a pantry which was really large. There were red tiles on the floor, really thick strong light wood shelves all round and a meat safe with really close mesh wire. There was also a slab of what I thought back then was concrete but may have been marble as it was rather pretty and a bucket of water to stand the milk in on it.
I remember it was a good place to go when there was hot weather too, very nice and cool.
I too was born in 1948, Richard, so now know how old you are. LOL
Spreckly
Legendary Laner

Post by Spreckly »

I think the brown gunky stuff was called Virol. I loved it.